Turkish Studies (Researc Institutes & Universities)
- Program in Ottoman and Turkish Studies (Tel Aviv University)In 2013 the Program in Ottoman & Turkish Studies has replaced the University Chair, which had been created by the Senate of Tel Aviv University (TAU) in 2007 in recognition of the importance of Ottoman and Turkish studies in Israel and at the University.
Lesson Plans on Turkey: The Turkish Cultural Foundation offers teachers a database of lesson plans. Lesson plans are developed by TCF’s Teacher Study Tour participants and other American educational institutions and experts on a number of subjects for middle and high school students. Search for the Ottoman Empire, World History, Current Affairs, Art and more!
Scholarships - Fellowships - Funding
- The American Friends of Turkey (AFOT) - Newberry ScholarshipThe American Friends of Turkey sponsors four scholarships to the Crisler Library’s International Summer Seminar for Students – two students from Turkey and two from the U.S.
- Research Scholarships in TurkeyThe Republic of Turkey offers research scholarships for international students and researchers within the scope of Türkiye Scholarship Program. Research Scholarships are only available for international students and researchers
- SALT Research FundsSALT was founded in Istanbul in April 2011 as a not-for-profit cultural institution. SALT conducts interdisciplinary research projects, and hosts public programs such as exhibitions, talks, film screenings, lectures, performances, and workshops. SALT Research Funds were established by SALT in 2013 with the objective of supporting experimental thinking, research, and analysis of societal changes and developments from multiple critical vantage points. Since then, SALT has granted an annual sum of 60,000 TL to six projects investigating built environment, modernity, memory politics, and forgotten histories.
- THE SCIENTIFIC AND TECHNOLOGICAL RESEARCH COUNCIL OF TURKEYResearch grant for scholars on sabbatical or simply willing to spend some time in Turkey
Research Associations & Professional Organizations
- IRCICA- Research Center for Islamic History, Art and CultureIRCICA is an international institution active in the fields of research, publishing, documentation and information. Its mandate covers multifarious themes in the fields of the history of Muslim nations, history of arts and sciences in Islam, and other subject areas in Islamic culture and civilisation. By means of these activities, IRCICA aims at studying and better introducing the Islamic culture and civilisation throughout the world and acting as a catalyst for research and cooperation
- Network Turkey – Academic Community for Turkish StudiesSince 2007, Network Turkey serves as an independent platform for academics and professionals with an interest in Turkey. Our intention is to serve as a pool of experts and information for topics related to Turkish Studies and to bring together those who are interested in an open-minded and critical debate on developments in the country.
The Academic Community enables scholars and professionals to create a profile page and to interlink with other members with common interests and fields of research. Furthermore, we offer our members the opportunity to pool information and to publish their articles as Network Turkey publications in the Digital Library. Finally, we organize our own and promote the events of others in order to introduce the broader public to topics related to Turkey. As such, our Calender informs about upcoming events related to Turkish Studies.
- Ottoman and Turkish Studies AssociationThe Turkish Studies Association, founded and incorporated in 1971, is a private, non-profit, non-political organization of persons interested in Turkish and Ottoman studies.
- SALTSALT was founded in Istanbul in April 2011 as a not-for-profit cultural institution. SALT conducts interdisciplinary research projects, and hosts public programs such as exhibitions, talks, film screenings, lectures, performances, and workshops. SALT Research Funds were established by SALT in 2013 with the objective of supporting experimental thinking, research, and analysis of societal changes and developments from multiple critical vantage points. Since then, SALT has granted an annual sum of 60,000 TL to six projects investigating built environment, modernity, memory politics, and forgotten histories.
- Sanat Tarihi DerneğiIt was founded in 1989 to arrange semposium, conference, congress and publish their proceedings in this field.
- Tarih VakfıThe Economic and Social History Foundation of Turkey is an organization based on the joint initiative of a group of intellectuals of various backgrounds and professions, most of them being historians and social scientists.
- Türk Tarih KurumuFounded under the patronage of Atatürk, the aim of the Turkish Historical Society is to study the history of Turkey and the Turks and to publish the results of these studies.
- The Middle East Studies Association (MESA)The Middle East Studies Association (MESA) is a non-political association that fosters the study of the Middle East, promotes high standards of scholarship and teaching, and encourages public understanding of the region and its peoples through programs.
- Uluslararası Osmanlı Araştırma KongresiINTERNATIONAL CONGRESS ON OTTOMAN STUDIES
ISAM (İslam Araştırmaları Merkezi)- Center for Islamic Studies Salnames / Ottoman articles / Ottoman treatises "The ISAM library was established in 1984 with the purpose of collecting the publications necessary to prepare the TDV Encyclopedia of Islam under one roof
BiblioPera: Beyoglu Research Centers Network is a partnership project of 9 international research centers located in Beyoglu, Istanbul. Rising over the shoulders of a union catalogue, BiblioPera brings the multilingual collections of the libraries of research centers together, and creates a platform for further cooperation for research and activities in Social Sciences, Art & Humanities.
GTOT e.V. (Society for Turkic, Ottoman and Turkish Studies) is an academic organization operating in the field of Turkic, Ottoman and Turkish studies. GTOT aims at creating a network for scholars and especially for young researchers in the field of Turkic, Ottoman and Turkish studies encompassing a wide range of research interests including the diverse range of religions and ethnic groups existing and living in areas populated by Turkic groups in the past or present.
- The Ottomanswww.theottomans.org aims to become the leading information portal regarding the history, military, culture and arts of the Ottoman Empire that has once dominated a large territory from Egypt to Russia, from India to Austria.
- Historians of the Ottoman Empire bio-bibliographical reference book on Ottoman historians.
HISTORY OF SERIAL NOVELS IN TURKISH LITERATURE (1831-1928) to examine at least 150 newspaper and magazines that were published in Arabic based alphabet in the period 1831-1928, in order to find out and record the serial novels published in these periodicals.
BiblioPera brings 9 research centers located in Beyoğlu and their collections together -- Istanbul Research Institute, Koç University Research Center for Anatolian Civilizations, SALT Research, Deutsches Archäologisches Institut-Istanbul, Netherlands Institute in Turkey, Institut Français d’Études Anatoliennes, Orient-Institut Istanbul, Swedish Research Institute in Istanbul, and The Consulate General of Greece - Sismanoglio Megaro. The project is developed by Koç University Suna Kıraç Library, and supported by Istanbul Development Agency.