Don't cram before an interview!
Instead of reading up on an industry the night before the interview, start as soon as you realize which industries interest you.
Finding an Industry Report
There are several library resources for industry reports. Capital IQ contains detailed industry reports from Standard & Poor's and is fantastic for larger industries. For smaller industries or for international reports, try Business Source Complete or IBISWorld. See the examples below:
Example: Get a report on the advertising industry in China from Business Source Complete:
- Access Business Source Complete
- Click the link for Thesaurus from the top menubar.
- Type Advertising in the search box and click the Browse button.
- Check the box next to Advertising and click the Add button. Then click the Search button.
- Under Publication Type, check the box next to Industry Profiles.
- Click the link for PDF Full Text of Advertising Industry Profile: China to access the Marketline report.
To get a industry report in Capital IQ:
- Access Capital IQ via your account or the dedicated computers in the library.
- Click the Research tab from the top menubar.
- Filter by Report Type from the drop down menu to view just the industry reports
Finding Industry Codes
What is an industry code?
SIC and NAICS are classification systems for industries. They allow you to group together companies in a specific industry in a standardized way.
Where can I find industry codes? SIC and NAICS codes and code definitions are available from the Census website.