Human Relations Area File (HRAF)
Using the Microfiche to research a culture or trait
- Find the cultural group code number(s) by consulting the Outline of World Cultures.
Note: HRAF covers only selected groups indicated by a pencil mark under or around the code numbers.
- Find the cultural trait category number(s) by consulting the Outline of Cultural Materials.
- Find the cultural group file by code number in the microfiche cabinet.
- Within the group file, look for microfiche with the cultural trait category numbers on the upper left corner.
- Put the microfiche in a reader, find the section with the cultural trait number and look for the large numbered dots in the margins. They are adjacent to text excerpts that pertain to your cultural trait category.
- If the material is of interest, copy down the source number, the author’s name and the cultural group code found on the top of the microfiche.
- For a complete bibliographic citation, consult the HRAF Source Bibliography. It is arranged by cultural group code then subarranged by source number.
OR consult category number 111 within the microfiche file for your cultural group. It also contains bibliographic citations and abstracts of HRAF source material.
- For the full text of the source material search the Olin card catalog for material published before 1974 or the Cornell Library Catalog online for more recent material.
OR consult category number 116 within the microfiche file for your cultural group. It contains the full text of many HRAF source publications.
NOTE: To find out, ahead of time, which cultural group files contain material on specific cultural traits, consult the microfiche “Index”, located at the beginning of the first drawer of the HRAF cabinet, by cultural trait category number. The index is not complete, but it may save some search time.