Resources for Food Service
Chefs, food service vendors and institutions may find using local foods challenging in terms of supplier and product consistency, local market variation and other variables which are hard to control. In some areas local government, business and non-profit organizations are working on programs and materials to assist businesses interested in supporting local growers (and local economies). These links provide a list of potential resources facilitating this process. Local county Cooperative Extension offices may be useful as well.
- Chef's Collaborative -Nonprofit network of chefs that fosters a sustainable food system through advocacy, education, and collaboration with the broader food community.
- Cornell Small Farms Program Resources including Marketing and Business Management resources
- CulinaryIncubator.com Site for helping entrepreneurs find a place to produce their food product. Goal is to help entrepreneurs find a kitchen quickly and easily, and for kitchen owners to get tenants to keep them operating. Includes list of things to consider when choosing a kitchen.
- Lead NY Program -Leadership program for individuals working in the food and agricultural industry.
- New York State Small Business Development Center
- Cornell Food Venture Center
- Other LibGuide Business Resources
- FarmsReach -an online farm food marketplace that connects farmers to business buyers.
- Local Harvest -National site with extensive listings of local growers, CSA's, markets etc, with embedded google map, and farm profiles
- Foodzie -Online marketplace for discovering and buying food directly from small scale food producers and growers from specific regions.
- EatWild -Find grass fed beef, lamb, goats, bison, poultry, pork, dairy and other wild edibles in your area (NYS listings).
- Eat Well Guide -Online directory of fresh, locally grown and sustainably produced food.
See Consumer Guide page for other resources.
- USDA SNAP-Ed Recipes find recipes for local/in-season foods
- Northeast Regional Food Guide Fact Sheets -Dietary guidelines with foods from the Northeastern US, seasonal produce availability, and information on the Northeast food and agriculture system.
See Food & Nutrition page for other nutrition related resources.
- Bringing Local Food to Local Institutions Publication providing farmers, school administrators, and institutional food-service planners with contact information and descriptions of existing programs that have made connections between local farmers and local school lunchrooms, college dining halls, or cafeterias in other institutions.
- Health Care Without Harm Healthy Foods Systems Tools and resources to help health care institutions make decisions about food, including local sourcing, that can have a substantial impact on public and environmental health
- Sustainable Food Systems LLC List of useful resources for food service operators wishing to adopt more healthy, sustainable practices.
- Sustainable Table Resources for cafeterias and dining halls
Farm to School Programs/Resources
- Cornell Farm to School Program
- National Farm To School Program
- NYS Depart. Ag & Markets
- USDA Farm to School & School Garden Resources
College Campus Initiatives & Resources
- Cooperative Food Empowerment Directive (CoFed) Working to empower students to establish co-ops serving ethically-sourced and sustainable food on college campuses nationwide..
- Farm-to-College Programs to connect colleges and universities with producers in their area to provide local farm products for meals and special events on campus
- Real Food Challenge Encouraging the procurement of "real food" on college and university campuses to catalyze the transformation of the larger food system.
Food Laws, Safety and Regulations
- Food Emergency Response Network (FERN) integrates the nation's food-testing laboratories at the local, state, and federal levels into a network that is able to respond to emergencies involving biological, chemical, or radiological contamination of food.
- FoodSafety.gov -gateway to federal food safety information.
- Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) for Education and Training -food safety related info.
- FDA Guidance, Compliance & Regulatory Information -Food compliance programs, labeling guides, and other guidance documents
- USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service -Regulations & Policies
- NYS Dept. Ag & Markets Division of Food Safety and Inspection, including NYS Food Safety Rules and Regulations