Top Tools and Tips
Course reserves are in Olin Library; 20,000 engineering books are located in Uris Library.
Passkey Off-campus? Log in once with this browser bookmarklet that connects you to all the Library's databases and journals with a single Cornell log-in. See this video.
Unpaywall.org - looks for legal, open-acces copies of an article
Citation Management - Keep track of your references, format bibliographies in thousands of styles. Mendeley, Zotero, Endnote, Papers. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for free premium upgrade for Mendeley.
ORCID - set your ORCID id and Scopus ID to establish a persistent unique identifier for you and ensures your work is linked to you. Required by some publishers and funders.
Rapid delivery of books not owned by Cornell from Borrow Direct and scanned articles from Interlibrary loan.
SHARES program - visit and possibly borrow books from other libraries, such as Columbia, Syracuse, Ohio State, Boston University.
Stay Current - with JournalTOCS - have tables of contents from journals in your field delivered to your email.
Events Emailer - Create preferences for receiving event nofitications via email based on campus unit and your search terms.
SPARC Author Addendum - sign and send to your publisher to retain your rights to your article - to distribute in your classes, include sections in later works, post to a website.
Streaming videos on how-to-use library databases - such as Engineering Village, Knovel, etc.
Databases below for journal articles, patents, standards, such as Scopus, Engineering Village.
- Engineering LibraryEngineering Library links to databases, including Database A-Z List, How to Videos (on finding research articles, materials properties, Passkey) plus services such as document delivery, books requests, room reservations.
- Cornell Library CatalogCornell Library website and catalog has records for 8 million books, and thousands of journals and articles. Links to interlibrary loan, scanned articles, and Borrow Direct.
- Engineering VillageBest comprehensive engineering database. Search scholarly articles and conference papers in Compendex.
- ScopusScopus is a large abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature: scientific journals, books and conference proceedings. Use for article searching, citations of articles (from 1970-), citation scores of authors, set up alerts, analyze data (i.e. journal rankings).
- KnovelKnovel has thousands of technical e-books on many subjects. Materials Properties, ASM Handbooks may be searched here.
- Access EngineeringAccess Engineering has hundreds of McGraw-Hill books and instructional videos, including Schaum's Outlines.
- Web of ScienceWeb of Science searches major science journals across disciplines.Tracks the number of times articles and authors are cited by others. Includes Science Citation Index (1900 - present), Conference Proceedings Citation Index, Journal citations reports, and Derwent Innovations (patents) databases.
- PubMedPubMed is the premier database for medical literature. Publisher is National Library of Medicine.
- ASTM standards12,000 standards by the American Society for Testing of Materials. There are 95,000 standards published by many organizations, such as ISO that we order individually as needed.
- Proquest ThesesGuide to finding full-text theses from Cornell and North America.
1) Which citation management program do you use, if any? Why?
2) Have there been times when you couldn't find or organize the information you needed? Describe.
Email to email@example.com