Reference Sources for Literary Criticism
- Bibliography of Comparative Literature. New York: Russell & Russell, 1960 [reprint; orig. pub. 1950]. Library Annex Z6514 C7 B17 1960
- Though dated, this is an essential and wide-ranging bibliography covering literary influences across national boundaries (e.g., "English Influences upon Germany") and cultures from early to modern times. Sections cover generalities (themes, motifs, genres, etc.) as well as specific literatures and their contributions, listed by country or author exerting influence. Detailed table of contents, but no index. Continued by the Yearbook of Comparative and General Literature (1952-2008; Olin stacks PN851 Y39 ) and Yearbook of Comparative Literature ), available online, 2009 - date in Project MUSE.
- a href="http://encompass.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/checkIP.cgi?access=gateway_standard%26url=http://histories.cambridge.org/">Cambridge History of Literary Criticism. (In Cambridge Histories Online) Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 1989- Olin stacks PN 86 C17 also Library Annex
- A multi-volume work-in-progress covering the history of literary criticism from antiquity to the present. Each volume contains a sequence of signed essays on the major critical developments of the period, followed by a bibliography of primary and secondary sources. As of 1999, three volumes have been published: one on classical criticism, one on the eighteenth century, and one on the modern period of formalism through poststructuralism.
- Contemporary Literary Criticism: Excerpts from Criticism of the Works of Today's Novelists, Poets, Playwrights, and Other Creative Writers. Detroit: Gale, 1973- 2009. Vol. 1- 264 . Uris Library Willis Room PN 771 C762; also available online in part in the Literature Resource Center (LRC) database
- Designed as an ongoing series of selective excerpts from critical writings (books and periodical articles) on contemporary authors. Writers treated are those who are either now living or who have died since January 1, 1960. In addition, consideration is given to writers of current interest and authors of mystery and science fiction writing. Full citations to the source follow the excerpts. Arrangement of each volume is alphabetical by author's surname. Index to authors covered in series is cumulated in each volume.
- Continuum Encyclopedia of Modern Criticism and Theory. General editor, Julian Wolfreys. New York: Continuum, 2002. Olin Reference PN94 C695 2002+
- "While emphasizing the theory and practice of literary and cultural criticism, [this volume] provides extensive coverage of related contextual discourses, as well as critical overviews of the work and reception of major figures responsible...for the development of those discourses in the now-related areas of philosophy, poetics, politics, aesthetics, linguistics, and others.
- Critical Survey of Poetry. Foreign Language Series . Magill, Frank, ed., 5 vols. Englewood Cliffs: Salem, 1984. Olin stacks PN 41 C93
- The first four volumes provide critical studies of 197 poets whose works have had an important influence on the literature of their native language. Includes bibliographies. Volume five contains lengthy essays (e.g. "German Poetry since 1800") and the index for the set.
- Magill's Bibliography of Literary Criticism. 4 vols. Englewood Cliffs: Salem, 1979. Uris stacks Z 5916 M19 (A.D. White Library)
- A bibliography of books and articles on literary criticism in the fields of fiction, drama and poetry. The time span for literature covered runs from the Epic of Gilgamesh to the present. Entries are arranged alphabetically by the author being reviewed. (A complete Title Index is provided at the end of Volume 4.)
- MLA Bibliography. New York: Modern Language Association, 1926 - . (Pre-1926 print volume in Uris stacks)
- An international database providing references to scholarly articles from over 4000 journals dealing with languages, literature, folklore and linguistics. It is useful for finding literary criticism of a particular author or work, as well as articles on literary theory, women's studies, popular culture, and performing arts. All nations and periods (after 1450 A.D.) are covered.
- Modern Drama: A Checklist of Critical Literature on 20th Century Plays. Metuchen: Scarecrow, 1967. Olin Stacks Z 5781 A22
- Emphasis is on critical articles rather than reviews of productions. Includes parts of books as well as periodical articles.
- Year's Work in Critical and Cultural Theory. Oxford: Blackwell, 1991- . Olin stacks PN80 Y39; latest volume in Olin Reference
- "An annual narrative bibliography of work in the field of critical & cultural theory, recording significant debates and issues" in areas such as feminisms, colonial and postcolonial discourse, postmodernism, film theory, virtual cultures, multiculturalism, continental philosophy, sexual difference, etc. A companion volume to The Year's Work in English Studies ."