How to search for articles
- Find a database by browsing the list here or from the Databases link on the library homepage.
- Click on the link to get into the database
- Search the database for articles
How to access an article
Not all articles are available full text! If an article isn't available full text through a database...
- Use Get it! Cornell.
- If there is no "Get it! Cornell" link/button, search on the title of the article or book in the search box on the library homepage.
- If you cannot locate the article, Ask a Librarian!
What is Passkey?
Passkey is a bookmarklet (Firefox and IE) that lets you quickly authenticate as a CU person, when you're off-campus. This allows you to access databases.
In Firefox, drag the icon to your bookmarks toolbar or right click and bookmark this location. Control-click (mac users)
In Internet Explorer, right-click the icon, add to favorites
The next time you're off-campus and a publisher asks you to log-in, click the Passkey. You'll be prompted for your CU netid, and that's it!
Google Scholar - Get it Cornell
- Google ScholarFor most topics, Google Scholar is still supremely inferior to using a specialized database, but if you're going to use it, adjust your Google Scholar preferences so that "Get it Cornell" shows up in your search.
"Get it Cornell" will help connect you to full text articles in the Cornell journal collections.
- America History and LifeArticles, books, dissertations on United States and Canadian history from pre-history to the 21st century.
- Historical AbstractsArticles, books, dissertations on the history of the world since 1450.
- Proquest Dissertations and ThesesNorth American. 1861 to the present. Many full text online. Others available through ILL.
- JSTOR: The Scholarly Journal ArchiveExcludes 3-5 years most recent articles. ALL JSTOR journals included in America History and Life/Historical Abstracts.
- Project MuseCompanion to JSTOR with 3-5 most recent years.
- Web of ScienceIncludes Arts and Humanities and Social Sciences Citation Index. A multidisciplinary index to over 1200 leading international arts and humanities journals. It includes journal articles, letters, editorials, notes, meeting abstracts, discussions, poems, short stories, plays, musical scores, excerpts from books, and bibliographies. Allows tracking of cited references.
- EBSCO Academic Search PremierMultidisciplinary and multi-genre--scholarly journals, scholarly journals, magazines, reports, newspapers. Lots of full text.
Gender and Ethnicity
- Chicano databaseCovers a wide range of materials focused on the Mexican-American and Chicano experience, as well as the broader Latino experience of Puerto Ricans, Cuban Americans and Central American immigrants.
- International Index to Black Periodicals (Black Studies Center)Articles, books, etc.
- GenderWatchPublications that focus on the impact of gender across a broad spectrum of subject areas, uniquely central to women's lives, including family, childbrith, birth control, daycare, domestic abuse, work and the workplace, sexual harassment, aging, aging parents, body image, eating disorders and social and societal roles.
- Studies on women and gender abstracts onlineIndexes books and journal articles on education, employment, women in the family, medicine and health, gender role socialization, social policy, the social psychology of women, female culture, media treatment of women, biography, literary criticism and historical studies.
Databases for articles in related disciplines
- MLA International BibliographyAn international database providing references to scholarly articles from over 4000 journals dealing with languages, literature, film, folklore and linguistics.
- ATLA Religion DatabaseA comprehensive database that contains citations from international titles and multi-author works in and related to the field of religion. It also includes a full range of index citations to journal articles, essays in multi-author works, book reviews, and Doctor of Ministry projects from ATLA's print indexes: Religion index one (RIO), Religion index two (RIT), and: Index to book reviews in religion (IBRR).
- The Philosopher's IndexProvides indexing and abstracts from books and many journals on philosophy and related interdisciplinary fields published in the U.S. and the Western World. Coverage is from 1940 to the present for U.S. materials, and 1967 to the present for non-U.S. references.
- EconlitIndexes books, journal articles, dissertations, and articles in books published since 1969.
- PsycinfoIndexes and abstracts 1300 leading international journals in psychology and related behavioral disciplines. The online version available on the Web, updated monthly, includes a periodical article index from 1887 to the present and a book chapters index from 1987 to the present, as well as all the records from the print version Psychological Abstracts.
- Sociological AbstractsIndexes and abstracts the world's leading journals in sociology. It covers articles published since 1974. There is extensive coverage of sociolinguistics.
- Anthropology PlusAnthropology Plus provides worldwide indexing of journal articles, reports, commentaries, edited works, and obituaries in the fields of social, cultural, physical, biological, and linguistic anthropology, ethnology, archeology, folklore, material culture, and interdisciplinary studies. The index offers coverage of all core periodicals in the field in addition to local and lesser-known journals. Coverage is from the late 19th century to the present.
- Art Full TextIndexes, abstracts and full-text from international periodicals, yearbooks, and museum bulletins. Areas covered include archeology, architecture, art, film, humanities, marketing, motion pictures and photography.