Invisible lands: The Palestine Film Festival / Adania Shibli
Quick Links (General Information)
List of Palestinian films - [An A-Z list of films produced in Palestine, the Palestinian Authority and by Palestinians - either under Israeli Civil Administration and Israeli-occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip.]
THE FILM | CINEMA PALESTINE "Cinema Palestine is a poetic documentary project exploring the emergence of a Palestinian cinema in recent years."
Khaled Elayya: A Brief History of Palestinian Cinema, This week in Palestine
Palestinian Film Databases & Collections
Who's Who * Palestinian Cinema
- Yahya Barakat
- Azza El-Hassan
- Hany Abu-Assad
- Scandar Copti
- Mustafa Abu Ali
- Mohammed Bakri
- Tarek Al Eryan
- Annemarie Jacir
- Michel Khleifi
- Rashid Masharawi
- Saleem Dabbour
- Mai Masri
- Montaser Marai
- Rosalind Nashashibi
- Ali Nassar
- Mohammad Al-Sawalma
- Hazim Bitar
- Elia Suleiman
- Leila Sansour
- Refat Adi
- Sameh Zoabi
- Tawfik Abu Wael
- Ameen Nayfeh
- Mohammad Shihadeh Hmedat
- Najwa Najjar
General History & Background
A Chronology of Palestinian Cinema
A chronology in two parts, (1927-1999) and (2000-2012). Comprising nearly one thousand entries, this work represents an ongoing research project. For suggested additions or corrections, contact CPS Visiting Researcher, Noemi Artal.
Chronology of Palestinian cinema (1927-1999) Compiled by Dr. Noemí Artal from Centro de Documentación sobre Cine Palestino & Center for Palestine Studies, Columbia University.
"This chronology of films made by Palestinian filmmakers is part of an audiovisual inventory of the traces that history has left in the 20th century. It consists of the (transliterated) original title and a translation into English and Spanish of 281 films (on-going research)."
Palestine in film A Guide and an Annotated Filmography By Marvin Wingfield. (American -Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC))
Una cronología del cine palestino / A Chronology of Palestinian Cinema (1927-1999). Noemí Artal. Centro de Documentación sobre Cine Palestino & Center for Palestine Studies, Columbia University, 5 de febrero de 2013 (actualizado 22 de abril de 2013). [The Documentation Centre of Palestine Film, a project of collective Handala]
Una cronología del cine palestino /A Chronology of Palestinian Cinema (2000-2012). Noemí Artal. Centro de Documentación sobre Cine Palestino & Center for Palestine Studies, Columbia University, 9 de marzo de 2013 (actualizado 22 de abril de 2013). [The Documentation Centre of Palestine Film, a project of collective Handala]
Cine, culturas y ocupación. Noemí Artal, Centro de Documentación sobre Cine Palestino, 8 de octubre 2012. [The Documentation Centre of Palestine Film, a project of collective Handala]
Hamid Dabashi (ed.), Dreams of a Nation: on Palestinian Cinema (London/New York: Verso, 2006).
Bibliografía / Cine palestino Centro de documentación [The Documentation Centre of Palestine Film, a project of collective Handala]
Dreams of a Nation, an independent project founded to provide resources and information on Palestinian cinema. Based at Columbia University, USA.
The FilmLab: Palestine is a non-profit company established in 2014, and based in the Old Town of Ramallah, Palestine. Inspired by personal experience to empower Palestinian youth in refugee camps in Jordan to tell their own personal history and document their collective memory through film art, the Film Lab uses international models of public and private partnerships to effectively promote film art and film culture in Palestine with the greater aspiration to create a productive, dynamic film industry in Palestine.
Statistical Atlas of Palestine
From the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS) of the Palestine National Authority.
Essays on Palestinan Cinema
- History and Trends in Palestinian Filmmaking / By Helga Tawil. Nebula 2.2, June 2005
- What is the Value of Palestinian Cinema? - The Jerusalem Fund
- Houses Without Foundations: On Belonging in Palestinian Women’s Cinema [Casas sem fundações: O sentido de pertença no cinema de mulheres palestinianas] / Colleen Jankovic.
- "Palestinian cinema is a cause": an interview with Hany
- Coming Home: Palestinian Cinema | The Electronic IntifadaAbu-Assad
- Palestine already exists on film: Palestine's past remembered
- Annemarie Jacir: Coming Home: Palestinian Cinema, 27 February 2007, The Electronic Intifada
- Khadija Habshneh: Palestinian Revolution Cinema, This week in Palestine
- The Palestine Cause in the Cinema - Jstor
Select Palestinian Movies / Filmografy
In the Image: Palestinian Women Capture the Occupation 2016 Video [San Francisco, California, USA] : Kanopy Streaming, 2016. In English, palestinian [Arabic]. In the Image, explores the daily lives of Palestinian women living in the occupied West Bank.
Six days in June 2007. Video Paris : Point du Jour International, 2007. Multiple languages. This edition in Hebrew, Arabic, and English with English subtitles.
Video New York, NY : Sundance Selects, c2012. In Arabic, Hebrew, and English, with optional subtitles in English or Spanish. [1 videodisc (109 min.) : sound, color]. ["A humorous, heartbreaking film that explores life among the Israeli Arab community from 1948 to the present day, shot largely in homes and places in which Suleiman's family once lived. Inspired by his father's diaries, letters his mother sent to family members who had fled the Israeli occupation, and the director's own recollections, the film recounts the saga of the filmmaker's family in subtly hilarious vignettes.] Uris Library Dean Room Videodisc 5191.
Roadmap to apartheid c2012 Video [United States] : Ubuntu Films, c2012. In English, with optional subtitles in English, Spanish, Arabic, French, Portuguese, German, Italian, Turkish, Swedish, Czech, Hebrew, Dutch, Russian, Danish. Uris Library Dean Room Videodisc 5350
Palestinian Film Streaming
- سينما العرب - تحميل ومشاهدة أفلام أغاني | فيلم مترجم | ترجمة arbcinema.com سينما العرب موقع متخصص في تحميل الافلام و المسلسلات العربية و ترجمة الأفلام الأجنبية Arab Film Distribution is a distributor of films about the Arab world. The Seattle-based company distributes its films in North America, and was founded in 1990 by the Seattle Arab & Iranian Film Festival, which was in turn created for the 1990 Goodwill Games. In 2005, the company launched a theatrical subsidiary, Typecast Entertainment Best Arabic Language Movies on Netflix Instant “Here are the best Arabic movies on Netflix, ranked by fans of foreign film. Netflix Instant offers all manner of international films in many languages, but every single film on this list of Netflix Arabic movies stands out. These Arabic language movies come from Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, occupied Palestine, and more. Some are documentaries, some are dramas, and some are thrillers, but all are superb Arabic movies streaming on Netflix.”
- watch arabic movies online “Watch free Arabic movies online, download English movies”
- Arab Cinema Center ACC was born with the mission to function as an international platform to promote Arab cinema and provide access to the best of Arab talent, films and companies participating in key film festivals.
- Ana Arab Cinema “featuring award-winning Arab films by the best Arab directors working today.”
- Shofha.com, Arabic Movies & Series Online On Demand
Kanopy thousands of classic feature films, educational shorts and documentaries [·Cornell University on Kanopy platform which you can access with your Cornell login: If a title doesn’t show up in a search let me know and we’ll contact Kanopy and ask them to acquire it [from the library's online catalog].
.Alexander Street Press have deals on their packages, which the library has bought, but do sell individual titles now as well .
World Digital Library Provides access to digitized items from all over the world.
The Film Foundation's World Cinema Project Restored films from films all over the world made available through streaming content