China (Peoples Republic of China)
China publishes statistical yearbooks on many subjects. Kroch Library has many of these in print: technology, environment, real estate, trade & external economics, trade unions, and more. To discover the library's holdings, try a subject search in the library catalog, using the country name and "statistics" in the search box.
Print & EBook Sources
- Zhongguo tong ji nian jian (China Statistical Yearbook ) In Chinese and English. Also available on China Data Online.Call Number: Ref + HA4631 .C55 (latest edition in Kroch Asia reading room)Publication Date: Xianggang : Xianggang jing ji dao bao she (library has 1981; 1983--current)
- Zhongguo lao dong tong ji nian jian (China Labour Statistical Yearbook) by In Chinese and English; more than 80 tables under “general survey,” and statistics on additional topics of employment & unemployment, wages, trade unions, labor relations, vocational training, social security; also main indicators for Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and international. Also available on China Data Online (earlier editions).Call Number: Ref + HD5830 .A18 (latest edition in Kroch Asia reading room)Publication Date: Beijing : Zhongguo tong ji chu ban she
- China Commerce Yearbook by Domestic and foreign trade; Statistics on China economy and world economy; Local (province & city) commerce; Development zones; Building the Belt and Road; Documents and special articles.Call Number: HF3831 .C541 + (most recent volume in Asia Reference)Publication Date: Beijing : China Commerce and Trade Press, 2004--
- Chinese Economic Statistics in the Maoist Era by An exhaustive compilation of national and provincial statistics on mainland China from 1949 to 1959, this book covers 11 topics (including population) and every facet of the Communist Chinese economy. It presents the most comprehensive coverage available of statistical data on China from this period. Based on data obtained directly from Chinese sources ... Author Chen states that after 1959, there was "a statistical blackout unprecedented in modern history."Call Number: REF HA 4635 C424 2009+ (There is an earlier version of this book in Kroch stacks, HA 1706 C51+, "Chinese Economic Statistics: a handbook for mainland China" by the same author)Publication Date: 2008 (New Brunswick [N.J.] : AldineTransaction)
- Multicultural China A Statistical Yearbook (2014) by Statistics on 56 ethnic groups of China. Chapters include "A list of China's ethnic groups (with English and Chinese names); Multicultural China: A Brief View; Macroeconomic Conditions; Population and Labor Force; Employment and Wages; People's Livelihood; Social Production and Rural Economy; Education; Science and Technology; Public Health and Social Security; Culture and Sports" (and appendices on autonomous areas).Publication Date: Berlin, Heidelberg : Springer Berlin Heidelberg : Imprint: Springer, 2015.
- China Ethnic Statistical Yearbook...Data on the socioeconomic situation of China's 56 ethnic groups. These indicators are compiled and estimated based on the regional and local data gathered from a variety of sources. EBook available through either of the Springer platforms. Scroll down for table of contents.)
- The Population of Shanghai (1865-1953): A Sourcebook by The present volume is the first systematic reconstruction of the demographic series of the population of Shanghai from the mid-nineteenth century to 1953. [It is] based on a thorough exploration of all population data and surveys available in published documents and in archival sources. Includes maps; chapters cover general and vital statistics, populations in movement, social structure.Call Number: HA4638.S53 P67 2019 +Publication Date: 2018 ( Leiden ; Boston : Brill)
- An Inquiry into the Population of Chinaby William Woodville Rockhill, 1905, part of a report to the Smithsonian. Traces history of population enumerations, discusses what is known from early dynasties thru Qing. Tables. This report is in the China: Culture and Society online pamphlet collection.
Provinces and Cities
Provinces: Statistical yearbooks are in HA 4637 section of the stacks (Anhui, Fujian, Guangxi, Heilongjiang, Hunan, Inner Mongolia [Nei Menggu], Jiangsu, Jilin, Ningxia, Qinghai, Shandong, Shanxi, Sichuan, Zhejiang). All are also available also through the database China Data online.
Cities: The latest editions of the statistical yearbooks for Beijing, Shanghai and Tianjin are in Reference, Kroch Asia reading room. Earlier editions of these, and yearbooks for other cities (Chongqing, Nanjing, Pudong New Area), are in the HA 4638 section of the stacks. All are also available through China Data Online.
- 中国城市统计年鉴 / Zhongguo cheng shi tong ji nian jian (China City Statistical Yearbook)Call Number: HA 4631 C52+Publication Date: 1985-- (Beijing Shi : Zhongguo tong ji xin xi zi xun fu wu zhong xin,)In English and Chinese. Library has 1986 to most current. Statistical data on a number of topics for cities from prefecture level and above.
- Yearbook of China City Competitiveness 2012Call Number: Ref + HT 169 C6 Y32 2013 (in Kroch Asia reading room)Publication Date: Singapore : Enrich Professional, c2013.Description: "..provides a comprehensive analysis of 297 cities in China by looking at the key performance areas of each city: economy, industry, finance, business, infrastructure, social system, environment, education, technology, and culture." Includes Hong Kong, Taipei, Macau, Lhasa.
Qing Dynasty (1644-1911)
- Studies on the Population of China, 1368-1953 byCall Number: HB3637 .H67Publication Date: 1959 (Cambridge : Harvard Univ. Press)
- A Study of China's Population During the Qing Dynasty byCall Number: DS701 .S65 +Publication Date: 1982This is an article in Social Sciences in China vol 3, no. 3, Sept 1982, p, 61-105. (Kroch Library has print 1980 to current. Online only from 2008.)
- Famille et Population en Chine du XVIe au XVIIIe siècle à la lumière d'un ouvrage récent de Liu Ts'ui-Jung byCall Number: HB881 A61Publication Date: 1995Article in French from Annales de Demographie Historique, 1995, p. 149-159. English summary at end. Issues also in print 1966-2009. Electronic only access after 2010.
- Population Statistics of ChinaArticle by Sir Richard Temple in Journal of the Statistical Society, vol. LXVIII, March 1885. This is part of the online China: Culture and Society pamphlet collection.
Web Sites and Databases
- National Bureau of Statistics of ChinaOfficial web site. Links on left side of page to monthly, quarterly, annual data (annual back to 1996); census data and other data (including "women and men in China facts & figures"). On right of page under Related Links, detailed list of statistics agencies of all countries, arranged by continent.
- China Data OnlineCornell has access to extensive statistics, yearbooks, census data, and atlas of China (graphic representation of stats). National, provincial, county and city levels.
- Sixth National Population Census DatabaseCornell subscribes to 39 titles from the 2010 census only, although this database covers from 1953 census on. . They include the provinces, autonomous regions, Beijing, Ningpo, Shanghai, Tianjin & Binhai New Area; Major Figures (for China) & Tabulation of Population (China); county and township tabulations. To search, or a district (and 2010 title) from the left-side menu. Click on a volume (i.e, vol. 1, 2, 3, or 4) if there is more than one. Choose a topic from the contents on the left side of the page. To see Excel tables, click on the green "x" box.
- CEIC Data Manager(See web site description on General Asia page) CEIC has China Premium Database with extensive economic and financial information, including monthly province-level industrial data.