Suggested Databases to Use for this Course
- AccessScience from McGraw-HillFull access to over 8,500 articles, 115,000 dictionary terms, 15,000 illustrations and graphics, bibliographies containing more than 28,000 literature citations, and hundreds of Research Updates in all areas of science and technology updated daily. Also includes biographies of more than 2,000 well-known scientists from the Hutchinson Dictionary of Scientific Biography®, the latest news in science and technology from Science News® and ScienCentral® videos, a science dictionary, and links to related websites.
- AGRICOLAProduced by the National Agricultural Library, AGRICOLA (AGRICultural OnLine Access), coverage includes: agricultural administration, laws and regulations, economics, education, training and extension, engineering and products; animal science; aquatic sciences; chemistry; energy as related to agriculture; entomology; feed science; food science and food products; forestry; general agriculture; geography, meteorology, climatology and history; home economics and human ecology; human nutrition; institutional food service; life sciences; natural resources management and environmental pollution; pesticides; plant diseases; plant science and production; rural sociology; soil science; veterinary medicine. Coverage from 1970 to the present.
- ASTM Standards and Engineering Digital LibraryThe ASTM Standards and Engineering Digital Library is a vast collection of industry-leading standards and technical engineering information. The Library covers a broad range of engineering disciplines, including aerospace, biomedical, chemical, civil, environmental, geological, health and safety, industrial, materials science, mechanical, nuclear, petroleum, soil science, and solar engineering.
- Engineering VillageWeb-based information service offering a wide range of resources covering applied science and engineering.
- Environment IndexFormerly known as Environmental issues & policy index, Environmental Policy Index, and Environmental Knowledgebase Online. The Environment Index provides researchers with abstracts and indexing for over 1,000 titles covering environmental policy and studies. Updated monthly, with ongoing coverage for over 500 of those titles, the database contains citations for articles published since 1973. The database offers deep coverage of applicable areas of agriculture, ecosystem ecology, energy, environmental law, geography, marine and freshwater resources, public policy, social impacts, urban planning, and more. Additionally, an Environment Thesaurus and publication index are available for more precise, advanced searching.
- GreenFILEGreenFILE offers well-researched but accessible information covering all aspects of human impact on the environment. Its collection of scholarly, government and general-interest titles include content on the environmental effects of individuals, corporations and local/national governments, and what can be done on each level to minimize negative impact. Topics covered include global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more. GreenFILE is multidisciplinary by nature and draws on the connections between the environment and a variety of disciplines such as agriculture, education, law, health and technology.
- IEEE XploreProvides full-text access to IEEE transactions, IEEE and IEE journals, magazines, and conference proceedings published since 1988, and all current IEEE standards; brings additional search and access features to IEEE/IEE electronic library users.
- SciFinderSciFinder provides access to CAplus, a database of chemical literature and U.S. and foreign chemical-related patents, CASREACT, and the Registry database from Chemical Abstracts Service. Includes journal articles, book chapters, patents, conference proceedings, technical reports, substance database and dissertations covered in Chemical Abstracts as well as articles currently being indexed, book reviews and biographical information. Covers chemistry, biotechnology, agricultural chemistry, toxicology, environmental science, medicine, and food science, from 1907 to the present. Users may search more than 27 million citations by topic, author, CAS Registry Numbers, patent number, and CAS abstract number. More than 33 million chemical substances may be searched by chemical name, chemical structure, substructure, CAS Registry Numbers, and formula.
- Water Resources AbstractsWater resources abstracts (WRA) is prepared from materials collected by over 50 water research centers and institutes in the United States. Includes water resource economics, ground and surface water hydrology, metropolitan water resources planning and management, and water-related aspects nuclear radiation and safety.
- Web of ScienceAll Databases indexes core journal articles, conference proceedings, data sets, and other resources in the sciences, social sciences, arts, and humanities.