Checking out physical materials
Patrons can visit libraries to check out library items themselves. They can also request library material from any library (except Adelson) to be sent to another library. Using the "Request Item" button on the item's catalog page, patrons can request items be sent to:
- Annex Reading Room Use Only
- Fine Arts
- Industrial Labor and Relations
- Law Library - Law School community only
- NYC-Tech Campus - Tech community only.
- And contactless pickup locations (see below)
Patrons are able to place requests for physical items that are not available digitally from the circulating collections of all libraries except Adelson. The following locations are available for contactless pickup:
- Uris Tower
- Vet (CVM community only)
We will send the patron an email with pickup information when the items are ready. If a patron notices the item is on their account but they have not received a notice, it is likely the item is there to be picked up. Check FOLIO's "Circulation Log" or contact the relevant circulation department to confirm (see Referral Directory for contact info).
Under certain conditions, new books may be mailed directly to faculty. See the Direct-to-Instructor Print Materials Confluence page for more information.
Returning physical materials
Patrons can return library material to circulation desks, dropboxes, or by mail.
Dropboxes and drive-up locations:
- Adelson Library (drive up)
- Africana (drive up)
- Engineering (bookdrop is located at the north entrance to Carpenter Hall. The bookdrop is cleared Monday - Friday)
- Geneva (drive up)
- Law Library (drive up)
- Library Annex (no exterior bookdrop - return books inside, M-F 8am - 6pm, Sat. 9am - 12pm, closed Sun.)
- Management Library (south side by parking lot)
- Mann (outdoor dropbox in breezeway and indoor dropbox in contactless pickup room)
- Math Library (north side across from Bailey Hall)
Returned material will no longer be quarantined.
We are waiving late fees for circulating materials (except items that have been recalled). There are now fines only for lost item replacement fees.
Books returned through US mail, FedEx, DHL, UPS or other delivery service should be insured for a minimum value of $100 per item. Please address packages to:
Library Public Services Office
116 Olin Library
161 Ho Plaza
Ithaca, NY 14853
Hold, Recalls, and Renewals
- Recalls are enabled.
- Holds are enabled.
- Renewals: Patrons can renew checked-out items via My Account.
- There is a known issue where a patron will attempt to renew their items and they will get an error message. Usually, their items will be renewed--there is just a slight delay. Tell the patron to check their items again in a few minutes.
Coming to campus
Patrons do not need to register to come to campus to pick up or return library materials.
However, patrons should not pick up or return library materials if they need to quarantine, have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days, have experienced COVID-like symptoms in the past 14 days, or have had close contact with someone who has tested positive.