DICTIONARIES, ENCYCLOPEDIAS, GUIDES AND HANDBOOKS
- Foster, David William, camp. Handbook of Latin American Literature. New York: Garland, 1992. Olin stacks PQ 7081 A1 H23 1992
- This is a collection of signed essays on the literary histories of various Latin American countries. A short annotated bibliography concludes each essay. Also includes sections on Hispanic literature in America, film and paraliterature. An index is included.
- Literary Cultures of Latin America: a Comparative History, edited by Mario J. Valdés and Djelal Kadir. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press, 2004-. 3 vols. Olin Ref PQ7081.A1 L525 2004 +
- Contains "more than 1,000 topically arranged articles written by a team of international scholars... explores the shifting problems that have arisen across national borders, geographic regions, time periods, linguistic systems, and cultural traditions in literary history...[including] pop culture-comic strips, soap operas, sermons, scientific essays, and more...With signed articles each with complete bibliographies [from publisher's description]
- Smith, Verity, ed. Encyclopedia of Latin American Literature. London ; Chicago : Fitzroy Dearborn, c1997. Print edition: Olin Ref PQ 7081 A1 E56x 1997+
- Contains fairly substantial entries "on writers, works, and topics [e.g., Feminist Literary Theory, Jewish Writing, Foundational Literature, Mysticism] related to the literature of Latin America, including survey articles on all the continent's individual countries." (Editor's note). Each article contains a list of sources for further reading. Provides both a general index as well as a title index -- both original language title and English title -- of works discussed.
- Dance, Darkly Camber, ed. Fifty Caribbean Writers: A Bio-Bibliographical Critical Sourcebook. New York: Greenwood, 1986. Olin stacks PR 9205 A52 F46; also Africana Ref)
- The fifty essays included here are intended to introduce the reader to the wide range of important Caribbean writers, past and present. In addition to biographical information each essay includes criticism, bibliography and lists of honors and/or awards.
- Flores, Angel. Spanish American Authors: The Twentieth Century. New York: Wilson, 1992. Olin Ref PQ 7081.3 F57x 1992+; also Olin stacks
- This source includes more than 330 biographical sketches (many are autobiographical) of writers most exemplary of the literature of the countries of Spanish America. Arranged alphabetically by author, entries also include a bibliography of sources by and about the author.
- Marting, Diane E., ed. Spanish American Women Writers: a Bio-bibliographical Source Book. New York: Greenwood Press, 1990. Olin stacks PQ 7081 S83; also Uris stacks Z1609 L7 S6x 1990
- This compilation consists of analytical and bibliographical studies of fifty of the most important women writers of Latin America from the seventeenth century to the present. The writers included represent most of the Spanish-speaking American nations and a variety of literary genres. Each entry provides biographical and career informaton, discusses the major themes in the body of work, and surveys criticism. A detailed bibliography of works by the writer, works available in translation, and works about the writer.
LITERARY CRITICISM & BIBLIOGRAPHY
- Rela, Walter. A Bibliographical Guide to Spanish American Literature: Twentieth-Century Sources. New York: Greenwood Press, 1988. Library Annex Z1609 L7 R375
- An annotated bibliography covering those authors and works receiving the greatest critical attention and publication since 1945. Divided into sections covering: Bibliography; Dictionaries; History and Criticism; Anthologies. Within each section there is a further division by countries and genres (poetry, prose fiction, drama). The anthology section is useful for locating works that may be difficult to as separately published volumes. An author index provides access to all sections.
- Hoffman, Herbert H. Hoffman's Index to Poetry. European and Latin American Poetry in Anthologies. Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1985. Olin Reference PN4323 H71
- An index to translations of non-English language poems found in U.S. anthologies. Indexed by title, author, and first line.
SELECTED INTERNET RESOURCES
- Caribbean Literature
- "...a searchable collection of poetry and fiction produced in the region during the 19th and 20th centuries. Among the titles selected are numerous rare and hard-to-find works written in English, French, Spanish, Dutch, and various Creole languages. The published volumes, manuscripts, and archival materials targeted for inclusion in this collection are presented in their original languages." (publisher)
- HLAS Online: Handbook of Latin American studies. 1936- date.
- The Handbook is a bibliography of scholarship on the humanities and social sciences in Latin America. HLAS Online provides rapid, comprehensive access to future, current, and retrospective volumes of the Handbook. Print versions are in both Olin and Uris Libraries.
- HAPI, Hispanic American periodicals index.1970- date.
- Contains authoritative, worldwide information about Central and South America, Mexico, the Caribbean basin, the United States-Mexico border region and Hispanics in the United States. From analyses of current political, economic, and social issues to unique coverage of Latin American arts and letters, HAPI Online contains complete bibliographic citations to articles, book reviews, documents, original literary works and other materials appearing in more than 400 key social science and humanities journals published throughout the world. Coverage begins in 1970.
- Literature in Latin America
- From the University of Texas at Austin. Collection of links to Latin American literature sites by region and country, links to journals and magazines in the field, and links to online newsgroups and mailing lists.
- Mundo Latino
- Provides links to largely Spanish-language literary resources around the world, from sites focusing on national literatures to libraries with major collections in Latin American literature.