JSTOR is a fully-searchable database containing the full text of back issues of several hundred scholarly journals in the humanities, social sciences, mathematics, music, ecology and botany, business and other fields. JSTOR also offers high-resolution digital copies of many illustrations, charts, and tables that were published in those scholarly journal articles. JSTOR allows image searching through caption text searching.
For example, in the JSTOR advanced search, try searching keyword=["emily dickinson" daguerreotype], then select caption from the pull-down menu. This will translate into a phrase search for Emily Dickinson, and the term daguerreotype, and the search code (which you will see in the URL field) will look like this: (ca:("Emily Dickinson" daguerreotype)). JSTOR will search image captions that contain the phrase and term.
Search results return several hits, including an article with this image:
Emily Dickinson. Daguerreotype, ca. 1847.
Hathi Trust Digital Library
EBSCO Host's advanced search offers a number of image search options:
- Black and White Photograph
- Color Photograph
- Cartoon or Caricature
- Chart or Graph
- Diagram or Plan
- Graphic, Symbol or Logo
- Musical Notation
General Article Databases
- Entertainment Industry Magazine Archive's advanced search options include Advertisement, Editorial Cartoon/Comic, Photograph, etc.
- St. James encyclopedia of popular culture: advanced search allows searching image captions. Also provides extensive list of illustrations, which are numerous.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library's advanced search allows searching for articles with images or videos.
- Oxford Reference : after searching, filter results to include only results with illustrations.