Related Subject Guides
Signing of the Treaty of Ghent, 1812
Reference & Historical Sources
NOTE: This guide aims to provide basic information on locating treaties and related material online and in Olin Library only. It should be noted that the Cornell Law Library holds an extensive collection of resources in this area, and with only a few exceptions they are not included here.
- Encyclopedia of Historical Treaties and Alliances. New York : Facts on File, c2001. Description: 2 vols. Olin Ref KZ1160 P48x 2001+
Historical and analytical survey of treaties and alliances throughout history. Chronological arrangement.
- Encyclopedia of the United Nations and International Agreements, by Edmund Jan Osmancyzk; edited and revised by Anthony Mango. New York : Routledge, 2003. 3rd ed. 4 vols. Olin Ref KZ4968 O84x 2003+
Contains alphabetically arranged entries on terms, concepts, organizations, countries, agencies, and other subjects in the context of international relations and, in particular, of the United Nations. Some major documents (conventions, charters) are reproduced in full. References are appended to many entries.
- The Major International Treaties of the Twentieth Century: a History and Guide with Texts, edited by J.A.S. Grenville and Bernard Wasserstein. London; New York: Routledge , c2001. 2v.Olin Ref JX171 G823 2001, also Law Ref KZ64 G74x 2001
"Covers the period from 1900 to the present day... provides key sources as well as a guide to the documents, a path through them and essential data on the role, form and vocabulary of treaties in general. This global collection covers treaties of all aspects from political and economic agreements to environmental and human rights pacts." [publisher]
- Multilateral Treaty Calendar = Répertoire des traités multilatéraux, 1648-1995, Christian L. Wiktor. The Hague ; Boston : M. Nijhoff Publishers ; Cambridge, MA, c1998.Olin Library Ref KZ118 W55x 1998 also Law Ref KZ118 .W55x 1998
Chronologically lists multilateral treaties covering nearly 350 years, beginning with the Peace of Westphalia in 1648 through December 1995, providing information on the location of their printed text in various collections, data on duration, depository arrangements, and status, as well as notes on their amendment, modification, extension, and termination. [from the Introduction] Indexed.
- The Penguin guide to the European Treaties: from Rome to Maastricht, Amsterdam, Nice and Beyond, Clive H. Church and David Phinnemore. London: Penguin, 2002. Olin Ref KJE5076 C48x 2002
Provides an introduction to the treaties of the European Union, including an historical overview, the complete text of the Treaty on European Union and other major instruments, with commentary.
- Treaties and Alliances of the World [compiled by] N.J. Rengger,with John Campbell. Stockton Press, 1995. 6th ed. Olin Ref JX4005 T78 1995+, also Law Ref KZ1301 T73x 1995
Provides an overview of "significant international, regional and bilateral agreements, throughout the world," as well as commentary on the changes that have occurred as East-West confrontations have diminished and analysis of the importance of treaties in the post-Communist world. Includes regional sections.