Please note

Limited Submission grants & fellowships: "Some sponsors limit the number of nominations or proposals that Cornell (including Weill Medical College) may submit to a particular program." More information, from the Office of Research & Innovation.


Sept. 29, 2015

Note: This announcement is being distributed on behalf of Barbara A. Knuth, Senior Vice Provost and Dean of the Graduate School. Please direct any questions to:


Research and training grant proposals often require the PI to document how graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, or other students and educators will participate in training opportunities through your project, how outcomes will be disseminated to other universities or to a wider public, and ways to diversify the audiences impacted by your efforts (broader impacts). The funding agency may also require a one-page formal document describing the plans for professional development of postdoctoral scholars or trainees funded by the research (postdoctoral mentoring plan or individual development plan).

The Cornell University Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CU-CIRTL) can help you address these requirements, either by providing a few sentences of text for your proposal, or by writing aletter of support/letter of commitment describing CU-CIRTL’s role as a partner on professional development and outreach opportunities for STEM graduate students and postdoctoral scholars.

Complete details can be found at: We encourage you to contact us at or 607-255-2030 with any inquiries about possibilities for supporting your proposal. We’d also be happy to talk with you about playing other roles in your grant activities. 

Grant Support

Grant Support at Cornell, sometimes applicable to graduate student grant research:

Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP)

Office of Research Integrity and Assurance (for human subjects research; includes the Institutional Review Board)

Campus Research Centers

Writing Help

Knight Institute for Writing in the Disciplines
Schedule consultations on graduate-level writing projects, including fellowship & grant proposals

Cornell Resources

Cornell logo

Resources for Graduate Funding:

Resources for Undergraduate Funding:

Einaudi Center International Research Travel Grants
The Einaudi Center research travel grant provides travel support for Cornell University graduate and professional students conducting short-term research and/or field work in countries outside the United States. The travel grant covers international airfare only and is tenable for a minimum of two weeks and a maximum of six months. Visit the Einaudi Center Website

Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships (FLAS):
FLAS Fellowships support undergraduate, graduate and professional students in acquiring modern foreign languages and related or international studies. Funding is offered at Cornell University in collaboration with the South Asia and Southeast Asia Programs. For more information, visit the Einaudi Center website

The Einaudi Center also coordinates Cornell's Fulbright and Fulbright-Hayes Fellowship applications, and administers a number of other international grants (including travel grants) and fellowships for Cornellians.

For more help in developing a successful Fulbright application, consult the library's Fulbright-Plan Ahead guide.

The Lorem Ipsum generator feature of the online HTML editor fills your document with gibberish text which can be used as a placeholder until your final content is ready.

Cornell Grad School Video: Applying for Graduate Fellowships

Jan Allen, Associate Dean for Academic and Student Affairs, discusses when, why, and how graduate students should apply for external funding. Sponsored by the Cornell Graduate School.