How To Use This Guide
This guide provides resource materials to support those reading When The Emperor Was Divine. It can also be used to answer the Discovery Questions associated with Cornell University's New Student Reading Project.
- This first page provides key web sites on Julie Otsuka.
- The Book Overview tab provides links to web sites which offer reviews on the book When The Emperior Was Divine. The page also offers an interview with Otsuka on the book.
- The Evacuation & Legality section includes legal documents and a government issued evacuation poster. There is also footage of those of Japanese ancestry being shipped off to internment camps.
- The Internment page provides access to a government film defending the internment of persons of Japanese ancestry during WW II. There are also authoratative web sites documenting the plight of them in the internment camps.
- World War II provides a link to a government produced film on the Japanese attack on Pearl Habor, as well as links showing the contributions made by Japanese Americans during World War II.
- Racial Profiling offers links to sites defining racial profiling, and selected cases of profiling. There is also an interview about racial profiling with a leader from the Arab American Association of New York.