Reference Sources for Italian Literature and History
- Cassell Dictionary of Italian Literature, Peter Bondanella and Julia Conaway Bondanella, editors-in-chief. London: Cassell; Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1996. [2nd ed.]. Olin Reference PQ4006 C37x 1996
- Provides 400 entries on: Italian writers from the 12th to the 20th centuries; Italian...poetic forms or genres; literary or critical schools, periods, problems and movements; and feminism, postmodernism and other topics of contemporary interest. Entries are arranged alphabetically and include extensive cross-references. A bibliography concludes each entry. [publisher's description]
- Dictionary of Modern Italian History, Frank J. Coppa, editor-in-chief. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1985. Olin Reference DG545 D55
- Covers Italian history from the 18th century to the early 1980s. Alphabetically arranged entries provide information on `personalities, institutions, systems, and problems of Italy.' Some articles include bibliographies with English and/or Italian sources. Includes chronologies.
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Italian Culture, edited by Gino Moliterno. Routledge, 2000. Olin Reference DG450 E53x 2000
- Provides "coverage of the diverse forms of post-1945 Italian culture. With over 900 entries by international contributors, this volume is genuinely interdisciplinary in character, treating traditional political, economic, and legal concerns, with a particular emphasis on neglected areas of popular culture. Entries range from short definitions, histories or biographies to longer overviews covering themes, movements, institutions and personalities, from advertising to fascism, and Pirelli to Zeffirelli." [publisher's description]
- Encyclopedia of Italian Literary Studies. Gaetana Marrone, general editor; New York: Routledge, c2007. 2 vols. Olin Reference PQ4006 E536 2007+
- "Contains some 600 entries on all aspects of Italian literary culture, including analytical essays on authors and works,articles on critics, themes, genres, schools, historical surveys, and other related topics. The encyclopedia also covers subjects of contemporary interest, such as journalism, film, media, children's literature, food, and vernacular literatures. Entries consist of an essay on the topic and a bibliographic portion listing works for further reading, and, in the case of entries on individuals, a brief biographical paragraph and list of works by the person." [publisher]
- Italian Novelists Since World War II, 1945-1965. edited by Augustus Pallotta. Detroit: Gale Research, c1997. (Dictionary of Literary Biography, v. 177) Uris Library Reference PS129 D55 v.177+ (on south wall of Dean Room)
- Italian Novelists Since World War II, 1965-1995. edited by Augustus Pallotta. Detroit: Gale Research, c1999. (Dictionary of Literary Biography ; v. 196) Uris Library Reference PS129 D55 v.196+ (on south wall of Dean Room)
- These volumes typically provide 10-15 page biographical overviews of writers, including bibliographies of both primary and secondary works. The texts of these are available online through Gale Literary Sources; see entry below.
- Italian Women Writers: a Bio-bibliographical Sourcebook, edited by Rinaldina Russell. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1994. Olin Reference PQ4063 I88
- "Contains biographical, critical, and bibliographical profiles of 51 Italian women writers from the 14th century to the present day. The entries are written by contributors knowledgeable of the historical period in which their chosen writers lived, and reflect the literary tradition that conditioned the works under consideration, as well as the modern gender issues inherent in contemporary criticism." (publisher's description)
- Letteratura Italiana. Aggiornamento Bibliografico. Trieste: Alcione Edizioni, 1991- . Olin Reference Z2354.C8 L653
- Semiannual index to books, journal articles and reviews relating to Italian literature. Arranged chronologically by century, indexed by author, keyword, and subject.
- Oxford Companion to Italian Literature. (Oxford University Press, 2002). Print copy: Olin Reference PQ4006 O84x 2002
- Alphabetically arranged entries cover major and minor Italian authors,literary genres and movements,literary theory, literary magazines and publishers, as well as entries on important cities, historical events, and political philosophies.