Getting Started with Mendeley
- Create an account at mendeley.com.
- Create a personal profile. This helps others find your papers, and you can keep track of the use.
- Download the free software onto your computer. Download the web importer too under the Tools menu.
- Start adding your reference materials to your Mendeley library (see next)
- Create a library by giving it a name.
- Import a citation from Google Scholar
- import a citation from PubMed or Web of Science or another database you use
- Drag and drop a PDF - highlight and annotate (write a note)
- Don't forget to Sync Mendeley deskltop.
Format a Bibliography
- To format a bibliography you'll need the citation plugin. Download it via the Tools menu in Mendeley Desktop. (Make sure Word is closed first).
- Open a document in Word, a blank one is fine. Try typing and inserting some citations from the floating toolbar in Word.
- Format them in a style.Create a bibliography using "insert bibliography" on the floating toolbar.
- If you need to edit a citation style, go to http://csl.mendeley.com/about/.
Join a Group
- From Mendeley.com click on Groups. Look for a group to follow.
- Create a new group and invite your colleagues. You will need to upgrade to premium in order to create more than 1 group and invite more than 2 people.
Complete your Personal Profile
- Complete your personal profile to add papers publications, which allows others to find your work. Click Stats to see use.