INVESTOR RELATIONS departments of publicly traded companies will often have a website with SEC filings, annual reports, presentations (including earnings calls), and press releases. This is an excellent starting place when researching a company. Find the investor relations website by searching the internet with the company name and the phrase "investor relations".
- Capital IQProvides financial information on more than 42,000 public companies. Easy-to-use tools for financial statement analysis, peer analysis, and charting.
- OrbisExcellent company coverage of both publicly traded and private firms around the world.
- MSCI ESG DirectGreat for screening companies based on ESG (environmental, social, or governance) performance.
- Bloomberg ProfessionalBloomberg provides news, industry research, financials, and securities prices from financial markets around the world. Excellent coverage of debt markets, real estate, and derivatives.
- EDGAR (SEC filings)EDGAR provides access to company filings submitted to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
- EikonAvailable in Management and Mann libraries, Eikon provides market data on securities around the world, company ESG ratings, and private equity deals.
- ESG backgroundSome background on ESG data and current availability at Cornell.
- Seeking AlphaSeeking Alpha provides news and investing ideas. Insight is provided by investors and industry experts rather than sell-side analysts. Excellent source for earnings call transcripts shortly after a call for more than 4,500 companies.
Primary vs. Secondary Sources
Happy to help!
Johnson Graduate School of Management
- FactivaFind earnings call transcripts, interviews, and targeted company news. Use the Search Builder to filter by article length, topic, and relevancy.
Factiva is ideal for gathering background information on your company and learning about what issues they are addressing, their strategies, and products.
Narrow your search results to specific types of content. For example, set the subject to Transcript to filter for earnings call transcripts and interviews.
Below are some guidelines for creating a targeted search in Factiva which will allow you to weed out extraneous results.
|For Articles Containing||Enter|
|Both the word Tesla and the exact phrase autonomous vehicles.||Tesla and autonomous vehicles|
|Either Michelin or Firestone.||Michelin or Firestone|
|At least 5 mentions of Microsoft.||atleast5 Microsoft|
|Vodafone in the same paragraph as telecommunications.||Vodafone same telecommunications|
President within 3 words of Biden, where Biden is the third word (there can be 0-2 words between),
|President w/3 Biden|
|Any words that begin with telecom. You must use at least 3 characters before the truncation (*) sign
and it must be used at the end of a word only.
|Either globalization or globalisation, or other wildcard spellings.||globali?ation|
|The words U.S. stock market and word count greater than 5,000, to identify longer articles about the stock market.
Do not use commas in large numbers.
|U.S. stock market and wc>5000|