Equipment needed for basic sound recording:
- Digital Audio Recorder and headphones OR
- Microphone attached to computer
Equipment needed for advanced sound recording:
Digital Audio Recorder
Microphone stand and cable
Sound Mixer (recommended for more advanced sound recording)
AV Equipment at the Libraries
Audacity is a free audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. Always make sure you are downloading the correct program before you accept it on your personal device.
- Download Audacity for a Mac
- Download Audacity for a PC
- Directions on how to install and use Lame MP3 encoder (free software) in Audacity for Linux users (comes built in for Windows and Mac users)
It is easiest to start with pre-recorded sound bites to import into the system, but you can also record straight from Audacity.