Why A Literature Review?
Summarize the literature in a given field
Evaluate the quality of evidence and strength of existing claims
Show how published works relate to one another
Place your work in the context of other research in a field
The Literature Review Model
It is recommended that students follow the six step workflow laid out in Machi and McEvoy. For more information on the steps check out the book at Olin Library.
Machi, Lawrence A, and Brenda T McEvoy. The Literature Review: Six Steps to Success. 2Nd ed. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Corwin Press, 2012.
Webinar recording: Demystifying the Literature Review
Webinar Recording of “Demystifying the Literature Review: A Hands-on Workshop for Taking a Structured Approach”,
Friday, April 24, 2020 by Cornell University Librarians Christine Fournier, Sarah Kennedy, and Sarah J. Wright.
Intended as a hands-on workshop to start or accelerate the literature review for your thesis or dissertation, the 1.5 hour workshop covers the steps of conducting a literature review, a checklist for drafting your topic and search terms, citation management software for organizing your results, and database searching.
Literature Reviews: An Overview for Graduate Students
- Literature Reviews: An Overview for Graduate StudentsCheck out this short video from NC State University that describes what a literature review is, what purpose it serves in your research, and what you should expect when writing one.
- The Literature Review: Six Steps to Success byCall Number: Olin LB1047.3 .M33 2012ISBN: 9781452240886Publication Date: 2012-06-08
- The Literature Review: A Step-by-Step Guide for Students byCall Number: Olin Library Reference (Non-Circulating) LB2369 .R525 2008ISBN: 9781412934251Publication Date: 2008-03-03
- Writing Literature Reviews: A Guide for Students of the Social and Behavioral Sciences byCall Number: Olin Library Oversize H62 .G35 2004 +ISBN: 1884585507Publication Date: 2004-01-01
- Writing the Literature Review: A Practical Guide byCall Number: Olin Library Oversize PE1478 .E37 2019 +ISBN: 9781462536894Publication Date: 2018-11-23
- Literature Review and Research Design: A Guide to Effective Research Practice byCall Number: OnlineISBN: 9781000739954Publication Date: 2019-11-26