Company Financial Data - FAQ
FAQs for company financial research
Q: Where do I start my company research?
A: You have several good options for company research, but a good place to start is Mergent Online. It provides a high degree of detail for public companies (and some information for private companies) including the ability to quickly identify the company's main competitors, acquire several years worth of financial information and benchmarking to the industry and competitors under the "Financials" section.
Q: Where can I find 5 year company financial results & ratios?
A: Mergent Online provides 5 year company financial results & financial ratios.
Mergent Online provides a variety of analytical choices, including creation of customized comparison lists and reports of companies and industry sub-groups.
Q: Where can I find Annual Reports?
A: The company website is an obvious choice. Often companies only make a few reports available on their web. If you want historical annual reports, use Mergent Online.
Q: When should I use Bloomberg?
A: The Bloomberg system is a leading information service for global financial markets. At least 250,000 terminals are used by investment professionals around the world. Corporate recruiters at Cornell are seeking candidates with competitive technical and financial technology skills. Gain this competitive skill before your next job interview. And we can help you get started right here at Mann Library.
Q: Where can I find sample SWOT reports?
Answer: SWOT reports are available through Business Source Complete. But these reports are not a substitute for your project. These are just good models to follow as professors usually want you to conduct an original SWOT. Please check with your faculty.
- Connect to Business Source Complete
- Click on Company Profiles
- Search for your company
- Click on the Datamonitor report that is retrieved
Top Finance Databases
- Mergent OnlineCovers over 10,000 US public companies and includes their SEC filings with valuable financial information. Some international company coverage is also included. Access to current and historical annual reports for US and international public companies. Also provides peer group comparisons and "as-reported" financial statements. Analyst reports (including SWOT) can be found on the Investext tab.
- Capital IQA unique platform combing detailed information on investment banking, private equity, corporations, investment management, professional services, and brokerage. First-time users click here to sign up for an account using your Cornell email address. After your account has been approved, click here to access the database.
- BloombergThe ultimate tool for financial and economic research. Provides real time and customizable data. NOTE: Bloomberg can only be used at designated terminals in Mann, the Hotel Library, the Parker Center, or the Management Library.
- Datastream AdvanceProvides comprehensive financial data. Data can be structured by the user, compared and statistically manipulated using graphics, time series analysis and report generation programs. NOTE: You must use a dedicated Datastream terminal (in Mann library or the Johnson School Library) to access this resource.
- Business Insights, EssentialsExtensive reference content from Gale's core business collection; easy-to-use company fundamentals and investment research reports; industry rankings, profiles, market share data, company histories, and more.
Finance News & Articles
- Business Source CompleteBusiness Source Complete provides full text for scholarly business journals and other sources, including full text for more than 1,800 peer-reviewed business publications. Coverage includes virtually all subject areas related to business. This database provides full text (PDF) for top scholarly journals, including the Harvard Business Review. It also includes industry and country reports from Euromonitor and company and industry reports from Datamonitor.
- ABI/InformABI/Inform, an extensive international business and management database, contains bibliographic citations, abstracts, and full text of articles appearing in professional publications, academic journals, and trade magazines published worldwide. ABI/Inform covers the areas of accounting, banking, computers, economics, engineering management, communications, finance, health care, human resources, insurance, international trends, law, management, marketing, public administration, real estate, taxation, transportation.
- FactivaFull-text online service for international news and business information. Covers over 28,000 sources in 23 languages in more than 150 countries. Some company and market research is included. Factiva includes full-text coverage of the Wall Street Journal.
- Nexis UniProvides access to full text resources on topics including current and general news; business and financial information; newspapers; company directories; government and politics; medical and health topics; accounting, auditing, and tax; federal and state laws; legal cases; and regulations. Resources include TV and radio news transcripts.
- Wall Street JournalSearch smart. Use Factiva to access Wall Street Journal and hundred of other business magazines to conduct efficient business and market research.