Mann Library supports the instruction, research, and extension programs of Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and College of Human Ecology.
No matter where you are in the research process, we encourage you to ask for information consulting services. Email us your question or request a consultation. Reference librarians are here to assist.
Web Resources for Financial Research
Company and Financial Research
- Mergent OnlineCovers over 10,000 US public companies and includes their SEC filings with valuable financial information. Some international company coverage is also included. Access to current and historical annual reports for US and international public companies. Also provides peer group comparisons and "as-reported" financial statements. Analyst reports (including SWOT) can be found on the Investext tab.
- Business Insights, EssentialsExtensive reference content from Gale's core business collection; easy-to-use company fundamentals and investment research reports; industry rankings, profiles, market share data, company histories, and more.
- Mergent IntellectMergent Intellect is a highly flexible web-based application that features a deep collection of worldwide business information that enables companies to generate insightful business intelligence. Coupling Mergent's expertise in developing products for the reference marketplace with D&B's private company database, Mergent Intellect offers new and existing clients a unique opportunity to access private and public U.S and international business data, industry news, facts and figures, executive contact information, the ability to access industry profiles and much more.
- EDGAR - SEC FilingsAll companies traded in an American exchange are required to submit official filings to the SEC. This is the official repository for these filings.
- Data Axle Reference Solutions (formerly Reference USA)Data Axle Reference Solutions (formerly Reference USA) is an extensive source of company profiles that includes records for public and private companies in the United States and Canada. Company data is frequently updated and phone verified. Some historical company data is available back through the mid-1990's. There are also U.S. and Canadian White Pages, data about U.S. Consumers, data about U.S. physicians and dentists, and data about U.S. jobs and internships.
- OrbisProvides access to company information and financial data for more than 275 million companies worldwide. Users can screen for companies based on geography, financial performance, industry, deals, ownership structure, number of employees, year of incorporation, and other criteria. Orbis is an excellent source for private company information, especially in international markets.
- CB InsightsCB Insights is a venture capital and angel investment database that provides daily real-time information about venture capital and angel investor-backed start-up companies, VC firms, angel investors, and transactions in the United States. Use CB Insights when you want to keep up-to-date with the latest fundraising, to research a specific start-up or funder, or create a list of start-ups. Users are required to create an account using their Cornell email address. Accounts are limited to 6,000 downloads per year.
- Nexis UniAn interdisciplinary, full-text database of over 18,000 sources including newspapers, journals, wire services, newsletters, company reports and SEC filings, case law, government documents, transcripts of broadcasts, and selected reference works. Formerly LexisNexis Academic.
Bloomberg is a powerful and customizable financial Research tool with data for almost all publicly traded companies around the world, trading data for commodities, currencies, bonds, treasuries and notes, news, executive information and much more. Bloomberg is also one of the few resources that provides detailed and extensive historical securities data, often down to individual ticks.
Mann has 2 Bloomberg terminals located on the main level in the computing area (in the Business Resources section). Due to popular demand, there are sign-up sheets in binders next to the terminals. Bloomberg terminals can also be found in the Management Library and the Hotel Library.
For more information on how to use Bloomberg, take a look at the Management Library's Guide on "How To: Bloomberg".
Like Bloomberg, Capital IQ is a powerful financial research tool. CapIQ provides detailed company information, not only for publicly traded companies, but also for private companies.
You can request a web-based Capital IQ account here. Capital IQ can also be used at a terminal located in Mann's Business Resources section, on the main level of the library. CapitalIQ terminals can also be found in the Management Library.