Guidestar PremiumSearchable directory that provides detailed information on more than 850,000 nonprofit (501) organizations. Profiles cover mission and programs, financials, leaders, and most importantly, full text via PDF of the charity's IRS 990 filing from 1998 forward in most cases. Form 990 provides information on revenues, expenses, programs, activities, executive salaries and board members. The database contains significant free content. Access to some free content requires registration. Additional premium content is available at the ILR Library. Please ask for assistance at the ILR Reference Desk.
IRS Tax StatisticsHere you will find a wide range of tables, articles, and data that describe and measure elements of the U.S. tax system. This data is extremely useful for scholarly and policy research.
Associations UnlimitedContains information for approximately 460,000 international and U.S. national, regional, state, and local nonprofit membership organizations in all fields, including IRS data on U.S. 501(c) nonprofit organizations. For some 2,600 major U.S. national associations, provides full-text association materials such as brochures, pamphlets, and membership application forms.
Labor Union Directories
AFL-CIO UnionsThe fifty-six AFL-CIO affiliated unions are listed on the labor federation's web site.
Association for Union Democracy (AUD) Links: Rank-and-file and Reform WebsitesAUD lists links to the websites of over 100 rank-and-file and union reform organizations, newsletters, and message boards.
Change to WinChange to Win is a labor federation comprised of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT), and United Farm Workers (UFW). The Communication Workers of America (CWA) and United Auto Workers (UAW) are affiliated with both Change to Win and the AFL-CIO.
Union Directory (TheLaborSite.com)Alphabetical list of labor unions, with links and contact information. To find Locals, browse by parent union first.
XPDNC Labour DirectoryThis is an excellent directory of labor-related Internet sites around the world (This site has ads and pop-ups which may obscure content, scroll past to locate the directory). In addition to listing web sites for international, national, and local labor unions, XPDNC has organized web sites under useful and interesting categories such as Corporate Agenda, Labour Online, Media Outreach. Web sites within each category are organized by geographic area.
- Coalition of Black Trade Unionists (CBTU)CBTU, an affiliate organization of the AFL-CIO, works within the framework of the trade union movement to provide a voice for greater black and minority participation and to improve economic opportunities for black workers. Their web site contains news about the organization's current activites, audiofiles of speeches by their leaders, and a directory of local chapters.
- Coalition of Labor Union WomenCLUW is an affiliate organization of the AFL-CIO which advocates for working women's issues. Their web site includes the CLUW newsletter, publications, and information on the Union Women's Summer Schools.
- Labor and Employment Relations Association (LERA)The Labor and Employment Relations Association, formerly the Industrial Relations Research Association, is an organization of professionals interested in industrial relations and human resources. Its 3,000 members include academics and practitioners. LERA publications, including its periodical, Perspectives on Work; its Annual Research Volume; and its Proceedings provide analysis of collective bargaining and industrial relations issues. View the index of post 1992 LERA and IRRA publications.
- Labor Research & Action Network (LRAN)LRAN is a collaboration connecting academics and labor practitioners to build workplace and economic power for working people.
- Make the Road NY"MRNY builds the power of Latino and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services."
- United Association for Labor Education (UALE)UALE is a new, united organization of labor educators. Click on "Member Organizations" to see listing of labor education programs from universities and colleges, labor unions. and community organizations.
- Worker Center Network (Interfaith Worker Justice)Locate IWJ-affiliated workers' centers by state, and access publications and resources for organizing.
- United Farm Workers of AmericaFounded by Ceasar Chavez. This was the original union for migrant workers. Has History information.