Advertising Data is relatively tricky to find. Companies typically include their own advertising expenditures in the much broader category "Selling, General & Administrative Expenses" or SG&A on their financial statements. As a result, very few aggregators make an effort to calculate advertising expenditures or ratios for either companies or for industries. Fortunately, there are a few that do.
- BizminerProvides detailed industry analysis and market research reports on more than 16,000 lines of business in national and local markets. Their many uses include valuation, business plans, due diligence and competitive benchmarking. Industry reports cover profit and loss, balance sheets, financial ratios, start-up trends, and more. Financial reports allow you to compare businesses in a specific sales class and geographic area to industry average benchmarks and competitors.
Here's a short video showing how to find industrywide data on advertising expenditures using Bizminer.
- Mergent OnlineCovers over 10,000 US public companies and includes their SEC filings with valuable financial information. Some international company coverage is also included. Access to current and historical annual reports for US and international public companies. Also provides peer group comparisons and "as-reported" financial statements. Analyst reports (including SWOT) can be found on the Investext tab.
Here's a short video illustrating how to find the ratio in Mergent. Please be aware that not every company will offer the data, that said, it will work as a nice estimate for the companies that do have the data.
- SimplyAnalyticsSimplyAnalytics is a web-based mapping application that allows you to create thematic maps and reports using demographic, business, and marketing data for the United States. Excellent source for locating demographic and marketing data for specific geographic locations.
Here's a short video on how to pull out advertising data from SimplyAnalytics. Pulling data from SimplyMap is somewhat tricky, so please don't hesitate to ask questions if any arise.
- NielsenNielsen is a global information and data company best known for their work with television ratings. Buried in their website are numerous reports and datasets related to advertising.
- StatistaStatista provides access to statistics and studies gathered by market researchers, trade organizations, scientific publications, and government sources on over 600 industries.