Strategies for Finding Translations
- Google Translate - use this or another program to translate the document. Or translate the title, then search in database to see if article has been reprinted in another journal.
- Dates - Articles may not have been translated until decades later. So an article published in 1950 may not have been translated until 1970.
- Transliterations - look under all variation of the title. Doklady Akademiia Nauk SSSR may be Akademiia Nauk SSSR Doklady in another. For Chinese transliteration use both the Wade-Giles and the Pinyin system. That means for Acta Zoologica Sinica, search under both Tung Wu Hsueh Pao and under Dongwu Xuebao.
- Some of these tools are online, but most are in print.
Help is just a chat, email, or phone call away.
Check out the latest news on our blog.
Top Databases / Indices
Resources will be listed in order by format. Many are not online and will need to be consulted in the library.
- Journals in Translation - 1950 - 1991
Uris Library Oversize, Z 6514 .T7 T75 +
Engineering Librarian's Office
- Conslidated Index of Translations Into English, Part I, 1953-1966
Library Annex Z6514.T7 T77
- SciFinder Scholar, 1907+
- NTIS, National Technical Information Service
Reports from government labs, agencies, such as U.S. Department of Energy. Many reports are held in the library annex.
- NASA Technical Report Server
NTIS, National Technical Information Service, technical reports
- Technical Translations, 1959-1967, Library Annex Z7403 .T78
- Transdex: Bibliography and Index to the US Joint Publications Research Service (JPRS) translations, 1970-1996 Olin Library Reference, Z1223.Z9 C35, Soviet Union, Olin Library, Z2491 .S736 +, China & Asia exclusive of Near East, Kroch Library Asia Oversize, DS701 .U5861 +, East Europe, Library Annex, Z2483 .E13 +
- World Index of Scientific Translations, 1967-1977 Library Annex, Z7403 .W89
- Translations register-index, 1976-1986, Mann Library Z7401 .T77