Skip to main content
- Cooper, Michael, ed. They Came to Japan: An Anthology of European Reports on Japan, 1543-1640. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1965.
- (Kroch Asia DS 808 .C77; also in Uris)
- A collection of translations of firsthand descriptions of Japan by
European travelers, many of them Christian missionaries. Organized by
subject, each chapter contains notes and references.
- de Bary, Wm. Theodore, ed. Sources of Japanese Tradition. 2nd edition. New York: Columbia University Press, 2001. 2 vols.
- (Kroch Asia DS821 .S68x 2001; earlier editions in two vols. edited by Tsunoda Ryusaku in Uris DS 821 .T88 1964)
- The newest edition in the Sources of Japanese Civilization series
contains readings on Japanese religion, philosophy, politics, society,
and literature since the earliest times. It includes a chronological
table and brief background information on the translated excerpts.
Originally compiled in the 1950s, this newer edition revises and
supplements Tsunoda's compilation.
- Treasures of the Asia Collections: Japan. Ithaca: Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.
- Full Text
- An online sample of images from Japanese culture and history with accompanying explanatory text.