- Connect terms and phrases.
- iphone and labor
- "oil industry" and climate
- Place quotation marks around phrases, if needed., e.g. "BP oil spill"
- Truncate terms with an asterisk * to find variant endings.
Example: coal and lobby* finds lobby, lobbying, lobbyist
- Broaden your search by using OR between alternate terms. Place these terms in parentheses.
Example: (convict OR prison*) and firefight*
Research is iterative
Start with some of the key words and phrases of your research question.
Read through some of the articles you find, looking for additional ideas and key words that can be used to search again. Are there specific issues to pursue further? Different key words or concepts you might search?
Note: Some database records will also provide subject heading or descriptor terms to help narrow or broaden your search. Keep an eye out for these! They can also be extremely useful.