Subject vs Keyword
- subject words = less hits & better
- keywords = more hits & sometimes worse
A keyword means find the word anywhere--title, author, notes, description, publisher, etc.
Requesting Books from Elsewhere
- For books that are checked out, or that Cornell doesn't have, use Borrow Direct
Books arrive in 3-4 business days.
- For items (books, articles, microfilm) Cornell doesn't have, use Interlibrary Loan Services
Items can arrive in as little as a few days to a couple of weeks.
- For items at another campus library or the Library Annex
Use the "Request" button in the Library Catalog and choose Library to Library Delivery.
Library Home & Catalog
The library homepage search box searches all library systems--the catalog, articles, and library websites.
The catalog contains all of the holdings of all Cornell University libraries including records for books, ebooks, DVD's/videos, sound recordings, magazines/newspapers/journals, online journals/newspapers, computer files, government documents, manuscripts and archives, maps, musical scores, and more. Everything but articles!
- Use the search filters under "Limit your results."
- To search the holdings of libraries beyond Cornell click on the "Libraries worldwide” (WorldCat Local) link.
- The advanced search in the library catalog allows for more precision. The drop-down menu allows you to search by Author, Title, Keyword, or Subject, or combinations.