Users of the popular open source citation management program Zotero can now sync their attached PDFs to CornellBox, which offers unlimited storage space to everyone at Cornell (at about a 1/2 gig per PDF, you could store every article ever published and still have room left over). And this is obviously a lot more storage online than the free Zotero allotment of 300 mbs. This snyc and store option is available for individual Zotero accounts, but not Zotero groups.
So how to set this up? Well, you've got two options. One involves using a free Zotero plugin called Zotfile, while the other option works from within Zotero. If you'd like to view and edit your PDFs online, follow path one; if you want a really simple way to store and access your PDFs online, try option three. And if you have any difficulties with this, or just want to know more about Zotero, email Jim Morris-Knower.
- Download and install Zotfile. This is designed for the Firefox version of Zotero, but will work with Stand Alone--just follow the directions on the Zotfile homepage under "install Zotfile."
- Set up Box sync, which will allow you to select folders in Box that will automatically synchronize with your computer. Log in to your Cornell Box account at https://cornell.app.box.com. Once you're logged in, follow Box's directions for setting up sync at: https://cornell.app.box.com/settings/sync. (This URL may not work if you are not logged in.)
- In your Box Sync folder on your desktop, create a Zotero attachments folder.
- In Zotero, select actions (gear icon) and Zotero Preferences. Select 'Tablet Settings' and check "use Zotfile to send get files from tablet. Then choose your PDF folder in Box Sync as your base folder.
- Select save
6. Finally, in the middle column of your library, right click on one or multiple references with attachments and select 'manage attachments'>'send to tablet'. The next time Box Sync syncs, your PDFs will sync to Box as well.
OPTION TWO--ZOTERO & WEBDAV
To start: in Box, you need to use the Create External Password for WebDAV logins (don't worry if that doesn't mean anything). To do this:
- Sign into your Cornell Box account using your net id and password.
- Click on the gear icon in upper right. The external password may be created in the Account Settings > Account tab > Create External Password
- Create External Password
Once you’ve done this, open Zotero and hit the gear icon>preferences>sync; here, enter the Box URL
(dav.box.com/dav), your login email address and the external password you just created:
- Click 'verify server.' If you’re successful,
you’ll get a new screen that looks something like this:
- Log into Box, or refresh. You should now have
a Zotero folder in your Cornell Box account.