Use these reference resources to find background information, definitions of terminology, and context. For other titles, ask us for suggestions.
- Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology Online. 11 volumes. Malden, MA: Wiley/Blackwell.
- (Online version. Print version: Olin Reference HM 425 .B53 2007)
- Coverage of surveillance from a sociological and cultural perspective.
- International Encyclopedia of Communication Online. Malden, MA: Wiley/Blackwell, 2008- .
- (Online only.)
- A regularly updated and comprehensive background source of communication and the media.
- Encyclopedia of the Fourth Amendment. CQ Press, 2013.
- Covering the key concepts, events, laws and legal doctrines, and court decisions, this reference on the law of search and seizure—in the physical as well as the online world—provides an overview of the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. More than 900 A to Z entries cover the key issues that surround this essential component of the Bill of Rights and the linchpin of the right to privacy.
Online Reference Collections:
- Access Science. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- The best online encyclopedia for articles on all aspects of science, technology, and the environment.
- Oxford Reference Online. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Over 100 cross-searchable reference titles from Oxford University Press, including science reference sources. Most entries are brief definitions and explanations of science terms.
- Sage Reference Online. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Knowlege.
- Cross-searchable selection of encyclopedia articles on on topics in the social sciences.