Skip to main content
Theater Review Resources
- British Periodicals
- Provides searchable full-text and page images of more than 460 periodical runs published from the 1680s to the 1930s.
- Dramatic Index for 1909-1949. (Bound with Annual Magazine Subject Index.) Boston Book Co., 1909-1952. Olin Ref AI3 M18
- Beginning with 1909, each volume is in two parts, each part having separate title page and pagination: pt. I, Annual magazine subject-index: pt. II, The Dramatic index. The Dramatic Index serves as an index to books, journal articles, illustrations, play texts and reviews. Covers general and specialized English-language periodicals. Articles are entered under subject only, with reviews of plays found under the title of the play. An important but often overlooked resource.
- A Guide to Critical Reviews, by James M. Salem. New York, Scarecrow Press, 1966-71. 4 parts in 5 vols.Olin Ref Z5781 S16
- NOTE: These volumes focus on reviews of plays produced on the New York Stage.
- Contents: pt. 1. American drama from O'Neill to Albee.--pt. 2. The musical from Rodgers and Hart to Lerner and Loewe.--pt. 3. British & continental drama from Ibsen to Pinter.--pt. 4. The screenplay, from The jazz singer to Dr. Strangelove (2 v.)
- 2nd edition. 1973-76.Olin Ref Z5781 S16 1973
- Contents: pt. 1. American drama, 1909-1969.--pt. 2. The musical, 1909-1974.--pt. 3. Foreign drama, 1909-1977
- 3rd edition. 1984-1991.Olin Ref Z5781 S16 1984
- Contents: pt. 1. American drama, 1909-1982 -- pt. 2. The musical. 1909-1989.
- [London] Times digital archive, 1785-2006
- Full-text and full-image articles from the Times of London for the years 1785-2006. It is a digital reproduction, cover to cover, of the paper in PDF files.
- New York Theatre Critics' Reviews. New York, Critics' Theatre Reviews, inc. 1940-1994. Library Annex PN1601 N53 ++
- "Theatre reviews is a complete guide and record of the New York stage, reprinted from New York sun, New York times, New York herald tribune, New York post, New York daily news, New York world telegram" 1940- ; reprinted from the New York daily news, Wall Street journal, Time, New York post, Women's wear daily, New York times, Christian science monitor, Newsweek, NBC.
- New York Times Theater Reviews. New York Times and Arno. Library Annex PN 2189 N53++
- Facsimile reprints of the reviews of theater productions as they appeared in the New York Times. Arranged chronologically, the set also includes appendices of awards and prizes and of productions and runs by season as well as indexes by title, production company, and personal name. The first 21 volumes cover the years 1870-2000. Since then volumes have been published biannually. [NOTE: these reviews can also be found online through ProQuest Historical Newspapers.]
Performing Arts Periodicals Database
- Formerly the International Index to the Performing Arts (IIPA) covers dance, film, television, drama, theater, stagecraft, musical theater, broadcast arts, circus performance, comedy, storytelling, opera, pantomime, puppetry, and magic. Full text from 1999 onward.
- Theatre Record (formerly London Theatre Record). 1991 - date. Olin stacks PN2596.L6 L83+ (Current issues in Periodicals Room)
- Reprints published reviews of theatrical performances in London and elsewhere in the UK. Includes production credits and dates of performance. Review sources include The Spectator, The Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, Independent, Time Out, Guardian, The Times and other UK publications. Annual Index.
- Theatre Reviews Limited
- A "source for reviews of many of the shows currently running in Manhattan as well as in New Jersey and around the United States. You will also find listings of shows that are on tour. Additionally, Theatre Reviews Limited has one of the most extensive archives of reviews available in electronic or print media." (Web site)
- Samples, Gordon. How to Locate Reviews of Plays and Films: a Bibliography of Criticism from the Beginnings to the Present. Metuchen, N.J.: Scarecrow Press, 1976. Library Annex Z5781 S19 H8
- Lists resources for finding theatrical reviews, including indexing services, theatre periodicals, reference guides, etc. Somewhat dated, but still useful for historical research.