- Seek out background sources to provide context and clues about where to look for more information.
- Keep an eye out for terms/concepts that you can use in your search for books and articles: Metaphor; "conceptual metaphor" "language-culture relationship" "cross-cultural comparative."
- When searching, remember that adding terms narrows your search (fewer results). Subtracting terms, broadens your terms (more results)
- Open the records for book and article titles to find subject headings (or descriptor terms), summaries (abstracts) and table-of-contents.
- Follow the references included in the books and articles you find.
- Evaluate what you find. Is it scholarly and authoritative?