Indexes & Finding Aids
- Multilateral Treaties: Index and Current Status, compiled and annotated within the University of Nottingham Treaty Centre by M.J. Bowman and D.J. Harris. London : Butterworths, 1984 (with supplements).Olin Ref JX171 M96 1984, and Law Ref KZ118 B69 1984 (Law's is more up-to-date)
This compendium of "essential facts" about "the most important multilateral treaties" provides a chronological list as well as subject and keyword indices. Law's holdings extend to 1994.
- World Treaty Index, Peter H. Rohn. Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-Clio Information Services, c1983-c1984. 2nd ed. 5 vols. Olin Ref JX171 W92 1983++
Lists more than 44,000 treaties covering the period 1900 - 1980, including 5,000 League of Nations treaties and 17,000 from the United Nations. The rest come from both official and unofficial national treaty collections. Contents: v. 1. Reference volume -- v. 2. Main entry section, pt. 1, 1900-1959 -- v. 3. Main entry section, pt. 2, 1960-1980 -- v. 4. Party index -- v. 5. Keyword index.
Full Text Sources
Some important international treaties may be published and cataloged separately. Search the Library Catalog using name of the treaty as title, or try a Subject Heading search under the name of the country followed by the subheading "treaties" (e.g., Mexico--treaties). The texts of many treaties are available through Google as well, but the usual caveats apply.
- The Consolidated Treaty Series. Edited and annotated by Clive Perry. Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., Oceana Publications [1969- .] 231 volumes. Olin stacks JX170 P26 1969
Covers the years 1648 - 1920. "The present series ... is proposed ... to make a beginning with the year 1648 ... and, for the period between that year and the date of commencement of the League [of Nations] series (approximately 1918-20), to reproduce such prints of treaties in their original languages as can be found in whatsoever collection along with such translations into English or French as again ... can be found."
- EUR-Lex (Treaties) Luxembourg: European Communities, c1998- .
EUR-Lex section for EU treaties. "From this page you can access the basic legal texts on which the European Union and the European Communities are founded: the founding Treaties (original versions and later updatings), the amending Treaties, the Accession Treaties for each of the five enlargements, plus other essential documents such as the Constitution." (web site) Searchable.
- League of Nations Treaty Series: publications of treaties and international engagements registered with the Secretariat of the League [microform]. Geneva : League of Nations, 1920-1946. Vol. 1 (1920)-v. 205 (1946). Law Library Microfiche 6
1092 fiche; French and English; treaty texts also in original languages.
- The United Nations Treaty Collection.
Includes online versions of the print publications: Multilateral treaties deposited with the Secretary-General, which incorporates the detailed status of over 485 multilateral treaties, and: (United Nations) Treaty series, which contains the texts of over 30,000 bilateral and multilateral treaties in their authentic language(s), along with a translation into English and French, as appropriate, for those treaties registered with the Secretariat.