GUIDE ALLA LETTERATURA ITALIANA
- Cassell Dictionary of Italian Literature, Peter Bondanella and Julia Conaway Bondanella, editors-in-chief. London: Cassell; Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1996. [2nd ed.]. Olin Reference PQ4006 C37x 1996
- Provides 400 entries on: Italian writers from the 12th to the 20th centuries; Italian...poetic forms or genres; literary or critical schools, periods, problems and movements; and feminism, postmodernism and other topics of contemporary interest. Entries are arranged alphabetically and include extensive cross-references. A bibliography concludes each entry. [publisher's description]
- The Dante Encyclopedia, edited by Richard Lansing. Routledge, 2010 [2nd ed.] Olin Reference PQ4333 .D36 2010
- "The Dante Encyclopedia is a comprehensive resource that presents a systematic introduction to Dante's life and works and the cultural context in which his moral and intellectual imagination took shape." --from the publisher.
- Dictionary of Italian Literature, Peter Bondanella, Julia Conaway Bondanella, co-editors. Published: Westport, Conn. : Greenwood Press, 1979. Olin Reference PQ4006 D55
- "Provides some 400 alphabetically arranged entries on Italian writers, periods, literary movements, and versification, and on critical problems related to literary history. The volume covers Italian literature from the Middle Ages to the present and includes a number of new entries for contemporary writers. The entries, written by expert contributors, include...bibliographical information...Provides copious information on English translations as well as a guide to Italian literature in comparative contexts." (publisher)
- Dizionario Enciclopedico della Letteratura Italiana. Bari, Laterza; Roma, Unedi, 1966- 6 vols. Olin Library Reference PQ4006 D62
- Includes entries for: (1) major and minor Italian writers together with classical and foreign authors who have influenced Italian letters, (2) politicians, princes, and popes who have patronized Italian literature, (3) movements, cultural institutions, libraries, journals and magazines, and (4) the language and terms of literary criticism. Bibliographies; general index. [from Guide to Reference Books, 11th ed.]
- Enciclopedia dello spettacolo. Roma : Casa Editrice Le Maschere, 1954-1962. 9 vols.Olin Reference PN2035 E563+
- An Italian-language encyclopedia of international theater and cinema, focusing on actors, playwrights, composers, directors, dancers, set designers and other aspects of staged performance. Illustrated. Entries include bibliographies.
- Encyclopedia of Italian Literary Studies. Gaetana Marrone, general editor; New York: Routledge, c2007. 2 vols. Olin Reference PQ4006 E536 2007+
- "Contains some 600 entries on all aspects of Italian literary culture, including analytical essays on authors and
works,articles on critics, themes, genres, schools, historical surveys, and other related topics. The encyclopedia also
covers subjects of contemporary interest, such as journalism, film, media, children's literature, food, and vernacular
literatures. Entries consist of an essay on the topic and a bibliographic portion listing works for further reading, and, in the case of entries on individuals, a brief biographical paragraph and list of works by the person." [publisher]
- Italian literature before 1900 in English translation : an annotated bibliography, 1929-2008. Healey,
Robin. Toronto : University of Toronto Press, c2011. Olin Reference Z2354 T7 H434 2011 + (also Uris stacks)
- "In this annotated bibliography, Robin Healey covers over 5,200 distinct editions of pre-1900 Italian
writings. Most entries are accompanied by useful notes providing information on authors, works, translators, and how
the translations were received...A significant number of entries describe works originally published in
Latin. " (publisher)
- Italian Novelists Since World War II, 1945-1965. edited by Augustus Pallotta. Detroit: Gale Research, c1997. (Dictionary of Literary Biography, v. 177) Uris Library Reference PS129 D55 v.177+ (Willis Room)
- Italian Novelists Since World War II, 1965-1995. edited by Augustus Pallotta. Detroit: Gale Research, c1999. (Dictionary of Literary Biography ; v. 196) Uris Library Reference PS129 D55 v.196+ (Willis Room)
- These volumes typically provide 10-15 page biographical overviews of writers, including bibliographies of both primary and secondary works. The texts of these are available online through the Literature Resource Center (LRC), but the graphic content -- which may include photographs, manuscript pages, book covers -- is available only in the printed editions.
- Italian Women Writers: a Bio-bibliographical Sourcebook, edited by Rinaldina Russell. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1994. Olin Reference PQ4063 I88
- "Contains biographical, critical, and bibliographical profiles of 51 Italian women writers from the 14th century to the present day. The entries are written by contributors knowledgeable of the historical period in which their chosen writers lived, and reflect the literary tradition that conditioned the works under consideration, as well as the modern gender issues inherent in contemporary criticism." (publisher's description)
- Letteratura Italiana. Aggiornamento Bibliografico. Trieste: Alcione Edizioni, 1991- . Olin Reference Z2354.C8 L653
- Semiannual index to books, journal articles and reviews relating to Italian literature. Arranged chronologically by century, indexed by author, keyword, and subject.
- Literature Resource Center (LRC)
- A literature database combining biographical, bibliographical, and contextual information on authors and their works (fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, history, and journalism). Draws from Gale Group's core literary databases including Contemporary Authors, Dictionary of Literary Biography (DLB), and Contemporary Literary Criticism (CLC). Provides additional search capability for Merriam-Webster's Encyclopedia of Literature and Gale literary index.
- Oxford Companion to Italian Literature. (Oxford University Press, 2002). Print copy: Olin Reference PQ4006 O84x 2002
- Alphabetically arranged entries cover major and minor Italian authors,literary genres and movements,literary theory, literary magazines and publishers, as well as entries on important cities, historical events, and political philosophies.
- Twentieth-century Italian literature in English translation an annotated bibliography 1929-1997. Healey, Robin. Toronto ; Buffalo : University of Toronto Press, 1998. Olin stacks PQ4051 .H43x 1998 +
Siti Web: Letteratura Italiana
Decameron Web- Boccaccio's work in Italian and in English, along with material related to it.
Italia Libri- Rivista mensile online di libri italiani, biografie di autori e recensioni di opere della letteratura italiana antica e contemporanea.
- Opera del vocabolario italiano: a collaborative project of the ItalNet consortium
- The database contains 1,369 vernacular texts (16.4 million words) dated prior to 1375, the year of Boccaccio’s death. The verse and prose works include early masters of Italian literature like Dante, Petrarch, and Boccaccio, as well as lesser-known and obscure texts by poets, merchants, and medieval chroniclers. The OVI database was created to aid in the compilation of an historical dictionary of the Italian language, the Tesoro della lingua italiana delle origini.
Princeton Dante Project
Cornell Library Dante Collection Exhibit
Cornell Library Petrarca Exhibit
Entry on Dante from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
InAfrica.it- Il portale dedicato all'Africa e ai popoli africani in Italia. Contiene informazioni anche su una nuova generazione di autori africani che vivono in Italia e scrivono in italiano, raccontando la vita nel loro Paese adottivo.
Tip: The Library of Congress classification for Italian literature ranges from PQ4001 through PQ5999