Skip to main content
Specialized Encyclopedias & Dictionaries
- Encyclopedia of Mystery and Detection. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1976, Olin Ref PN3448 .D4 E56.
- Oxford Companion to Crime and Mystery Writing. New York: Oxford, 1999, Olin Ref PN3448 .D4 O94x 1999; also online.
- Oxford Companion to American Literature. 6th ed. New York: Oxford, 1995. Olin Ref PS21 H32 1995; also online
- A ready reference work in dictionary format. It includes short biographies of American authors with lists of their major works, and information regarding their style and subjects. Provides summaries of American novels, essays, and poems as well as definitions and outlines of literary schools and movements.
- Oxford Companion to Women’s Writing in the United States, editors in chief, Cathy N. Davidson, Linda Wagner-Martin. New York : Oxford University Press, 1995. Olin Ref PS147 .O98
- Provides a comprehensive survey of women writers across four centuries of American history...Personal, cultural, and historical issues, such as AIDS, racism, sexual harassment, and the Civil War, are examined alongside accounts of women publishing and contemporary literary theory, such as black feminism, lesbian literary theory, and deconstruction. [publisher's description]
- Oxford Encyclopedia of American Literature, Jay Parini, editor-in-chief. New York : Oxford University Press, 2004. 4 vols. Olin Ref PS21 .E537 2004 +
- Gathers together 350 essays from over 190 leading scholars on the whole of American literature, from European discovery to the present. At the core of the Encyclopedia lie 250 essays on poets, playwrights, essayists, and novelists. Figures such as Whitman, Melville, Faulkner, Frost, and Morrison are discussed in detail with each examined in the context of his or her times, an assessment of the writer's current reputation, a bibliography of major works, and a list of major critical and biographical works about the writer. Each entry has its own primary and annotated secondary bibliography. [publisher's description]