These national biographies cover persons no longer living who were prominent in the history of that country (often including its colonial extensions). For exact coverage dates and information on other criteria for inclusion, see the front matter of the individual title. Online versions are continually updated.
- American National Biography. Oxford University Press, 2000- .
- (Online; also in print, Olin Ref CT 213 .A68x 1999)
The standard United States national biography. Profiles of more than 17,500 notable American men and women from all eras of U.S. history who are no longer alive. The ANB Online features thousands of illustrations, more than 80,000 hyperlinked cross-references, links to select web sites, and archival sources. Articles are updated and added regularly. The ANB supersedes the Dictionary of American Biography, the previous standard national biography of the United States.
For persons not listed in the ANB, check the less authoritative, older National Cyclopaedia of American Biography (Olin Reference CT 213 .N27) and the K. G. Saur index and microfiche collection of biographical dictionaries.
- African American National Biography. Oxford University Press, 2006- .
- (Online; also 8 volumes in print, Africana Ref E 185.96 .A37 2008)
Covering African American life for almost five centuries, from the arrival of Esteban in Spanish Florida in 1528 to notable black citizens of the present day, this major reference project collects and resurrects the lives of over 5,000 African Americans. New biographies added regularly.
- Diccionario biográfico español. 50 volumes. Madrid: Real Academia de la Historia, 2009-2013.
- (Olin Ref CT 1343 .D52 2009)
- The premier biographical dictionary of Spain.
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography. University of Toronto and Université Laval, 1966- .
- (Online; also 15 volumes in print: Olin Ref CT 283 .D55 +)
- The standard Canadian national biography. The 15 print volumes to date cover individuals who played an important role in the formation of what is now Canada who died between the years 1000 and 1930 or whose last known date of activity falls within these years. The free online version provides the latest entries (currently for the 1931-1940 decade) to supplement the print version. Annotated bibliographies include substantial listings of archival collections.
- Dictionary of German Biography. 10 volumes. München: K.G. Saur, 2001-2006.
- (Olin Ref CT 759 .D48 2001 [English-language version])
- Deutsche Biographische Enzyklopädie. 12 volumes. München: K.G. Saur, 1995-2000.
- (Olin Ref CT 759 .D48 1995 [German-language version])
- The standard German national biography. We have both the German-language and English-language editions. Print versions only. See also K. G. Saur index and microfiche.
- Dictionary of Irish Biography. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2009- .
- (Online; also in print in 9 volumes: Olin Ref CT 862 .D53 2009)
- Contains over 9,000 signed biographical articles on the careers of Irish men and women who made a significant contribution from the earliest times to the year 2010 in Ireland and abroad in all fields of endeavor, including politics, law, religion, literature, journalism, architecture, painting, music, the stage, science, medicine, engineering, entertainment and sport. Also includes articles on people born outside Ireland who had noteworthy careers in Ireland. Articles may be searched by name, gender, birth or death place, birth or death dates, religion, occupation, contributor, or keywords. Articles will be added each year to cover people who died since the previous update.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford University Press.
- (Online; also in print: Olin Ref DA 28 .D4 O95 2004)
- A completely updated version of the standard British national biography which was originally published from 1885-1901 in 66 volumes and updated with decennial supplements. Over 50,000 biographies of people who shaped the history of the British Isles and beyond, from the earliest times to the year 2000 (newer entries in the online version). Portraits and citations to archival collections and major biographies of the subject. See also K. G. Saur index and microfiche.