The Supreme Court Database
--variables concerned with the Supreme Court decisions and decision-making.
(1) identification variables (e.g., citations and docket numbers);
(2) background variables (e.g., how the Court took jurisdiction, origin and source of the case, the reason the Court agreed to decide it);
(3) chronological variables (e.g., the date of decision, term of Court, natural court);
(4) substantive variables (e.g., legal provisions, issues, direction of decision);
(5) outcome variables (e.g., disposition of the case, winning party, formal alteration of precedent, declaration of unconstitutionality); and
(6) voting and opinion variables (e.g., how the individual justices voted, their opinions and interagreements).